Sep 6, 2013, 10:05 PM EDT
Marlins starter Jose Fernandez padded his NL Rookie of the Year and Cy Young cases with seven outstanding innings against the Nationals tonight, bringing a no-hitter into the sixth inning. The Nationals stood no chance, recording just one hit — a squibber down the third base line by pinch-hitter Zach Walters with one out in the sixth — against the Marlins’ rookie while striking out nine times.
Marlins manager Mike Redmond pulled Fernandez after seven as he had thrown 94 pitches. The team plans to shut Fernandez down after his next start, which could come on Wednesday against the Braves. With 165.2 innings pitched, a career-high at any professional level for the 21-year-old. He has struck out 182 batters and posted a 2.23 ERA, putting himself firmly in the NL Cy Young discussion along with Clayton Kershaw of the Dodgers and Matt Harvey of the Mets. His biggest competitor for the NL Rookie of the Year award is Yasiel Puig of the Dodgers.
The Marlins gave Fernandez plenty of support, scoring five runs in three innings against Nationals starter Dan Haren. Logan Morrison crushed a two-run homer against Haren in the third inning, officially measured at 484 feet, a Marlins Park record. Giancarlo Stanton added a run in the eighth with a solo home run, his 19th of the season as the Fish went on to win 7-0. The Braves lost 2-1 to the Phillies, so the Nationals remain 14 games out of first place. The Reds won, dropping the Nats eight games out of the second Wild Card.
Mar 31, 2015, 7:41 PM EDT
Baseball is not dying.
Mar 31, 2015, 6:54 PM EDT
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com shares the news …
Mar 31, 2015, 6:09 PM EDT
Adam Wainwright tossed a spring-high 93 pitches in a Grapefruit League appearance Tuesday afternoon against the Marlins and was officially declared the Cardinals’ Opening Night starter after the outing by manager Mike Matheny.
Mar 31, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Lefties never die. But Mijares is going to have a harder time now.
Mar 31, 2015, 4:42 PM EDT
Why is this man smiling when his team appears to be destined for last place?
Mar 31, 2015, 4:17 PM EDT
“Sheer panic … things got very bad, very quickly.”
Mar 31, 2015, 3:40 PM EDT
Nice little loophole.
Mar 31, 2015, 3:02 PM EDT
WIll this man be smiling in October?
Mar 31, 2015, 2:14 PM EDT
Chavez appeared in 80 games for the Mariners last season.
Mar 31, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
It’s supposedly just an arm cramp, but Brad Ausmus isn’t ruling out the DL.
Mar 31, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
A long-overdue measure will, apparently, soon be in place.
Mar 31, 2015, 12:46 PM EDT
Wright had a rough spring, allowing 11 runs in eight appearances.
Mar 31, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
With this team, they’ll need it.
Mar 31, 2015, 12:16 PM EDT
Petricka saved 14 games with a 2.96 ERA and 55/33 K/BB ratio in 73 innings last season.
Mar 31, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
“I’m encouraged by it, and we’ll see how it carries over into the season.”
Mar 31, 2015, 11:33 AM EDT
But most people can afford tickets or are paid to play the games are decidedly not blue collar.
Mar 31, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
He got the nod over Mark Buehrle.
Mar 31, 2015, 11:02 AM EDT
Jenna and I talk about the Mariners’ dynamite pitching staff, Mike Trout’s need of some support and when the Astros will finally break into the picture.
Mar 31, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Probably destined for a part-time gig.
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 0
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 15
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)