Mark Trumbo declines to rip the statheads

Sep 6, 2013, 1:44 AM EDT

Mark Trumbo Getty Images

Mark Trumbo went to the All-Star Game last year and is about to notch a second straight 30-homer, 90-RBI season, so he could easily fall back on the old “I get paid to produce runs” line. It’s nice to see that he doesn’t.

“The casual fan would probably be pretty pumped up when they see the baseball-card numbers, and the new-age fans are probably not going to be too terribly thrilled with a player like me,” Trumbo told MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez. “But you know what, at the end of the day, you are who you are. I want to get better and do what I do.”

By the new-age fans, Trumbo is referring to those who would point to his current .291 OBP.  His career mark is .299. Of the 251 first basemen since 1900 to amass 1,500 plate appearances in the majors, Trumbo ranks 238th in OBP.

On the other hand, Trumbo has 90 homers and 268 RBI in three seasons of playing time. That makes him an asset, even if he’s more of a No. 5 or No. 6 hitter than someone who should bat cleanup with any regularity.

“I do quite a few things well, and there are some things I don’t do well, which are quite obvious,” Trumbo said. “Unfortunately, you tend to dwell on what you want to get better at. I spend quite a bit of time trying to figure out how I can do certain things better.”

Another player in Trumbo’s situation might be content with his lot. That Trumbo isn’t bodes better for his future.  The Angels declared him off limits in trade talks this summer, and he’s still being viewed as one of their building blocks.

1. seattlenative57 - Sep 6, 2013 at 3:12 AM

Refreshing for a change.

2. jhorton83 - Sep 6, 2013 at 3:25 AM

Those are pretty impressive numbers on the surface, but what’s her OBP?

• umrguy42 - Sep 6, 2013 at 9:01 AM

I dunno, but their SAR (spam above replacement) is only about 0.3…

3. aceshigh11 - Sep 6, 2013 at 7:13 AM

“…you are who you are.”

Is anyone else SICK TO DEATH of this goddamned cliche, and its even worse sibling, “it is what it is”?

Just STOP. USING. IT.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 6, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Meh…it is what it is Aces.

• aceshigh11 - Sep 6, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Well-played, sir.

4. jarathen - Sep 6, 2013 at 7:21 AM

I like that Mark Trumbo works on his game constantly. There are some things you really can’t improve on all that much, but he does try, and he stays humble about it. He is never going to be a .300/.400 guy, but there is some value in what he does.

• Glenn - Sep 6, 2013 at 10:27 AM

He can learn more plate discipline, but it is hard to learn how to hit 30 homers every year. I hope he learns how to do the former to extend his career as he ages.

5. graymalkin26 - Sep 6, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Guy can’t hit after All Star break, half season player, that’s his problem.

6. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Sep 6, 2013 at 8:59 AM

And more importantly, is she cute? A/S/L?

7. dwishinsky - Sep 6, 2013 at 12:51 PM

It struck me as odd that in over a hundred years only 251 players racked up 1,500 MLB plate appearances at first base (“Of the 251 first basemen since 1900 to amass 1,500 plate appearances in the majors, Trumbo ranks 238th in OBP.”) How did you get that number? When I go on Fangraphs, I get a – similarly suprisingly low – total of 374 players – Trumbo’s .291 would make him tied at 368 with Frank Isbell. Problem is Trumbo doesnt have a spot on that list because he has only 1,058 plate appearances as a first baseman.

• dwishinsky - Sep 6, 2013 at 12:53 PM

My mistake Trumbo’s career mark is .299 which would leave him tied at 355 with John Ganzel.

8. DJ MC - Sep 6, 2013 at 1:20 PM

The best part is, with this attitude he’s more likely to be accepted by the stat side for what he provides. If he went the other way all that would bring about is post after post showing how little value he may have.

More players should understand that. Then again, more players should understand a lot of things.

9. losanginsight - Sep 6, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Too bad for Mark there is a washed up player taking his natural position at 1st base for the next 8 years.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win