Mark Trumbo is not bothered if you point out his low OBP

Sep 6, 2013, 2:49 PM EDT

Mark Trumbo Getty Images

Tweet about Brandon Phillips‘ low on-base percentage and he flips out and calls you names.  Talk to Mark Trumbo for a little while and he brings up his low OBP and says that it’s a weakness in his game he’s working to improve:

“I understand it,” Trumbo said of getting a bad rap for his on-base percentage. “When I’m hitting well, I take a lot of walks. And when I struggle, I don’t. Pitchers are going to come at me … the new-age fans are probably not going to be too terribly thrilled with a player like me … I don’t think it’s been a tremendous year. But when you break certain things down, as much as a struggle as in my mind it’s been at times, I still have quite a bit to show for it.”

Self-awareness is the new inefficiency.

1. baseballici0us - Sep 6, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Anyone tweet Trumbo’s reaction to Phillips yet?

• baseballici0us - Sep 6, 2013 at 2:53 PM

#ALLREADY

2. sknut - Sep 6, 2013 at 2:52 PM

I guess its Mark Trumbo weekend on HBT!

Same picture too! HBT we are your Mark Trumbo leader!

• El Bravo - Sep 6, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I was gonna say….I thought I read this one already or I’m seriously residually stoned…turns out that both are true.

• asimonetti88 - Sep 6, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Much prefer MarkTrumboTalk to the previous changes to AlexRodriguezTalk and BiogenesisTalk

3. bearwithjetpack - Sep 6, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Take note, A-Rod. This is how you become a likeable player.

Humble self-awareness is why Trumbo is an Angels fan favorite.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 6, 2013 at 3:11 PM

If peak ARod assessed his level of skill properly, he would not necessarily be humble. He was arguably the best baseball player on the planet with no real flaws in his game and multiple facets at which he was spectacular. He had the biggest contract in sports history and outperformed it for several years.

Even before ARod gave anyone real reason to hate him, people decided to hate him. I don’t think there was muchhe could have done to change it. Who is John Galt?

• km9000 - Sep 6, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I think the point is that he’s humble and self-aware, not that he should be because of his game’s weaknesses.

Trout’s pretty humble too, and really, he has plenty of reason not to be.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 6, 2013 at 6:07 PM

The ARod hate started when he got his contract. Let’s wait and see what happens when Trout gets paid.

• notapsychiatrist - Sep 6, 2013 at 6:11 PM

*Some* people hated him way back when. A small proportion. It grew over time to the point now where a large proportion hates him, largely due to his own actions. PEDs, burdensome contracts, postseason under-performance, publicly cheating on his wife with strippers….

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 6, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Arod moved positions voluntarily for an inferior player, without so much as a peep (aka the Reverse Michael Young). He volunteered to reduce his salary so he could get traded to the Sox, until the MLBPA stepped in. Even after winning two MVPs with the Yanks, he bore the brunt of the criticism for the Yankees post season failures even though many others had far worst post season performances.

The guy did a ton of stupid things off the field, but where does this “arrogance” on the field come from? Saying “i got it” in Toronto, when Joe Morgan admitted people did that kind of stuff all the time in the 60s and 70s? The running across the mound in Oak? Come on, just admit you dislike the guy and stop coming up with ridiculous notions for hating him.

4. js20011041 - Sep 6, 2013 at 3:45 PM

So, the proper reaction to a writer making a factual statement isn’t to repeatedly call him a “fat motherfucker?”

• ezthinking - Sep 6, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Wellllll….”fat motherfucker” can be a factual statement as well.

You know, combat facts with facts.

Maybe BP knows something we don’t know about the writer.

• km9000 - Sep 6, 2013 at 5:37 PM

And even if he wanted to, I’d love to see him try to get away with barging in on a Scioscia press session to do it.

Three legends off to Cooperstown