Sep 6, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp‘s 2013 season may be over as he has been shut down indefinitely with tightness in his right hamstring, according to Dodger Talk co-host David Vassegh. Kemp had been rehabbing with Single-A Rancho Cucamonga after having been sidelined with a sprained ankle in late July. He was hitless in 19 trips to the plate before moving to the team’s complex in Glendale, Arizona.
Vassegh quotes manager Don Mattingly as saying, “I’m not ready to concede anything, but at some point we run out of time.”
Kemp first landed on the disabled list with a strained right hamstring between May 30 and June 24. He went back on the DL on July 7 with inflammation of the AC joint in his left shoulder and didn’t return until July 21. In his first game back, he sprained his ankle sliding into home plate in the ninth inning against the Nationals and he hasn’t played since. Kemp currently has a .700 OPS in 251 official Major League plate appearances this season.
Kemp, who turns 29 on September 23, has six years and $128 million remaining on his eight-year, $160 million contract extension signed in November 2011.
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 3
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 4
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 37
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)