Sep 6, 2013, 6:00 PM EST
Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp‘s 2013 season may be over as he has been shut down indefinitely with tightness in his right hamstring, according to Dodger Talk co-host David Vassegh. Kemp had been rehabbing with Single-A Rancho Cucamonga after having been sidelined with a sprained ankle in late July. He was hitless in 19 trips to the plate before moving to the team’s complex in Glendale, Arizona.
Vassegh quotes manager Don Mattingly as saying, “I’m not ready to concede anything, but at some point we run out of time.”
Kemp first landed on the disabled list with a strained right hamstring between May 30 and June 24. He went back on the DL on July 7 with inflammation of the AC joint in his left shoulder and didn’t return until July 21. In his first game back, he sprained his ankle sliding into home plate in the ninth inning against the Nationals and he hasn’t played since. Kemp currently has a .700 OPS in 251 official Major League plate appearances this season.
Kemp, who turns 29 on September 23, has six years and $128 million remaining on his eight-year, $160 million contract extension signed in November 2011.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 74
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)