MLB may not want A-Rod in the playoffs, but they’ll get over it

Sep 6, 2013, 8:52 AM EDT

Alex Rodriguez Reuters Reuters

I don’t know if the Yankees will close the 2.5 game gap between them and the playoffs, but they might. And if they do, Mike Lupica argues, the league will hate it:

Now it is September of 2013, what the Yankees hope will be a big September as they try to clinch a wild card or maybe still win the American League East from the Red Sox, whom they would play in three hours. And less than four years from A-Rod’s dream October, he has become Major League Baseball’s worst nightmare. There is only one player whom the people who run the sport don’t want to see playing baseball this October, and it is Alex Rodriguez . . .

I suppose there is a lot of truth to that. I also suppose that baseball will quite gladly accept the high TV rankings and generalized buzz that will flow from the Yankees — and A-Rod — making the playoffs.

And even if they hate it now, I would think that at least some forward thinkers at the league office will recognize that an A-Rod in the playoffs story will — while certainly causing a lot of controversy and hand-wringing — reveal that the sport is larger than the controversies which so many wish to have define it. That A-Rod’s foibles will not turn Yankees fans off of their team’s run. Nor will it kill non-Yankees fans interest in rooting against the Yankees. It will fuel it, actually, and while that may still be based on the ugly PED stuff, it’s always been good for baseball when folks root for and against the Yankees.

The sport has survived so many scoundrels and scandals. It is and will continue to survive this one. Anyone saying otherwise is ignorant of the game’s history and is misapprehending the seriousness — as opposed to the mere salaciousness — of A-Rod and the Biogenesis stuff.

1. andreweac - Sep 6, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Watch Arod garner World Series MVP honors…

• raysfan1 - Sep 6, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I would hate that…because that would mean the Yankees got to (and probably won) the WS.

2. Kevin S. - Sep 6, 2013 at 9:05 AM

MLB might get over it, but I still can’t wait to see Constipated Bud Face have to hand A-Rod awards and honors.

• zzalapski - Sep 6, 2013 at 9:11 AM

He has other faces?

• ptfu - Sep 6, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Haven’t people been calling him two-faced for a long time? :-)

And anyway, off the top of my head I remember seeing Constipated Bud Face and Gloating Bud Face on various articles. And may Dog preserve us from that horrible Orange Hair Face. I’m sure Craig’s used more but the coffee hasn’t yet sufficiently lubricated my brain to remember them.

• bsbiz - Sep 6, 2013 at 9:32 AM

There’s also Smug Bud.

• Old Gator - Sep 6, 2013 at 9:34 AM

It’s the same face. He just keeps switching wigs. Personally, I like that blondish, cornfield-after-a-locust-blight wig.

• nbjays - Sep 6, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Nuh-uh, Gator. That one looks too much like Donald Trump’s “descended from orangutans” hair color to me.

3. royalsfaninfargo - Sep 6, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Mike Lupica might be the most pretentious columnist in New York, and that is saying a lot.

• bigharold - Sep 6, 2013 at 6:20 PM

No “might be” about it. It’s Lupica and it ain’t close.

4. redmanrt - Sep 6, 2013 at 1:20 PM

“..reveal that the sport is larger than the controversies which so many wish to have define it.”

• mckludge - Sep 6, 2013 at 3:47 PM

“This sentence reveals a lot about Calcaterra who, I bet, contributed to moveon.org.”

That sentence reveals a lot about redmanrt, who, I bet, has trouble with basic cognition.

• redmanrt - Sep 6, 2013 at 4:27 PM

mck – Read the article.

“forward thinkers at the league office will recognize that an A-Rod in the playoffs story will…”

He is saying get over Rodriguez’ cheating, the same way fools said “move on” after Clinton perjured himself.

If you can’t see the danger in that approach to sports analysis, then you have the problem with cognition. Along with poor Calcatella.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 6, 2013 at 4:36 PM

No, he’s not. He’s saying that baseball is bigger than the PED issue it is facing.

5. mrpinkca - Sep 6, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Everybody hates on Bud Selig, but you have to admit he’s pretty good at his job.

Why? Because I am now passionately rooting for the Yankees, watching games and creating ad revenue. All just to make Bud look stupid(er) with an A-Rod WS MVP.

6. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 6, 2013 at 4:25 PM

I am perfectly content to hear ARod stories if they are about baseball. It is the other slop the press chooses to push instead that bothers me.

• redmanrt - Sep 6, 2013 at 4:29 PM

By “slop” are you referring to cheating?

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 6, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I suppose I am referring more to the moral outrage, the doomsday scenarios, the exaggeration of his crimes and the hyperbole associated with nearly everything he does. He is a baseball player who apparently took some “PE” drugs. This should not be as remarkable of a story as it has become.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 6, 2013 at 4:37 PM

By “slop” are you referring to cheating?

He cheated, just like hundreds, if not thousands of baseball players did. Although he technically hasn’t even been caught cheating yet, since the ’03 results weren’t against the rules.

Yet how many of those hundreds, if not thousands, were compared to a mass murderer? How many of those hundreds, if not thousands, were denied entrance to the HoF?

• bigharold - Sep 6, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Red, .. you know what the difference between David Ortiz and A-Rod is concerning PEDs, aside from the fact that they both showed up on the 2003 “survey” and neither has failed a screening since, .. nothing.

Oh when A-Rod was outted it was a great big deal and A-Rod then admitted it and put the best spin he could think of on it. Ortiz, acted like it was he hadn’t a clue about it, .. that he get to the bottom of it and tell everyone the truth. I’m still waiting and that was that news conference was 4 years ago.

Spare me the moral outrage since for the most part it has more to do with disliking A-Rod than his PED involvement. I could care less about the hordes of A-Rod haters.

7. jsc1973 - Sep 6, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Dear Mr. Selig,

It has come to our attention that you wish for someone to take action in order to prevent Mr. Rodriguez from embarrassing the game of baseball during the upcoming playoffs.

You’re welcome.

Sincerely,

The Boston Red Sox

8. coloradogolfcoupons - Sep 7, 2013 at 11:34 AM

The Yankees are in the playoffs? Really?

Jeez, that was a really long nap. The last time I was awake, it looked like the Yanks had overtaken Houston as the worst team in baseball, with a $23 Million pitcher who is pitching like a rag-arm, a bullpen recruited from the fire department, and their best player a guy the CUBS couldn’t wait to get rid of. And they had blown 2 late inning leads to their hated rivals that took them further and further from the 2nd wild card. Oh well, I’m old and probably needed the sleep.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 7, 2013 at 12:06 PM

You should probably wake up again because a team that’s fighting for a WC spot isn’t close to the worst team in baseball.

9. ndrick731 - Sep 7, 2013 at 1:20 PM

MLB might not like it but whoever the Yankees might be playing probably would be thrilled.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3768)