Sep 6, 2013, 7:05 PM EST
Rangers outfielder Nelson Cruz, currently serving a 50-game suspension for his involvement in the Biogenesis scandal, recently switched representatives, changing from the Levinson brothers to Adam Katz. Sources close to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports have learned that the Levinson brothers went to the Rangers last off-season and suggested a four-year, $56 million deal for their client. The Rangers declined, a decision that seems much more justified now than it did then.
Though Cruz won’t be donning a Rangers uniform for the rest of the regular season, there is a chance the team will add him to their post-season roster, though there is no guarantee. Once the playoffs are over, Cruz will become eligible for free agency. He is expected to draw some interest as one of just a few elite hitters available, but his age, injury history, and involvement with Biogenesis could bring down his price.
Prior to accepting his suspension, Cruz was hitting .269 with 27 home runs and an .841 OPS.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 59
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 156
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (156)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)