Sep 6, 2013, 8:25 PM EDT
Chris Branch of the News Journal reports that the Phillies have decided to move Ethan Martin to the bullpen and Tyler Cloyd to the rotation. Martin, acquired from the Dodgers last year in the Shane Victorino trade, had made seven starts since making his Major League debut against the Braves on August 2, posting a 6.90 ERA in 30 innings of work.
While Martin flashed an impressive mid-90’s fastball and a decent curve, he quickly lost steam. In his first trip through the opposing lineup, Martin held the opposition to a .618 OPS. The second time through, he allowed a .961 OPS, and his third time through, 1.488. His fastball averaged 95 MPH in the first inning but dropped below 93 MPH by the fifth inning, according to Brooks Baseball. Scouts profiled him as a future reliever and it seems like the Phillies are starting to see that, though pitching coach Rich Dubee says the team wants to “protect him”.
More from Dubee, via CSN Philly’s John Finger:
“I’m not afraid to put him in the eighth inning right now,” Dubee said. “Again, this is all trial and error. It will be interesting to see how he handles it. His stuff has played phenomenally well the first time through a lineup.
“And again, I don’t know if it’s because of fatigue, I don’t know if it’s because he burns up too much energy, but his stuff shortens up the second and third time through. I do think this guy is a gem. He will play some big role on a pitching staff. It will be a nice little change to take a different look at him.”
Cloyd was with Triple-A Lehigh Valley between June 17 and August 14, then made one start with the Phillies on the 20th, and a five-inning extra-inning relief appearance on the 24th against the Diamondbacks. He went back to Lehigh Valley on the 30th for a six-inning start and hasn’t pitched since. Martin was scheduled to start against the Padres on September 10, so that will likely be Cloyd’s next appearance.
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 15
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 33
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 15
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- David Price dominates Twins as Tigers win AL Central 30
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)