Ryan Braun calls Brewers season-ticket holders to apologize

Sep 6, 2013, 2:22 AM EST

braun getty Getty Images

Sure, it’s PR through and through, but it’s also kind of neat.

Ryan Braun, currently serving a 65-game suspension from MLB for his performance-enhancing drug usage, is calling Brewers season-ticket holders to apologize for his transgressions.

CBS 58 in Milwaukee reached out to one of the ticket holders, Pat Guenther, and got some quotes from the bar owner.

“I said what can I do for you? He said, I messed up, in a nutshell, I messed up,” Guenther told CBS 58. “I just want to reach out and say I’m sorry. I cut him off right there. I said you know Ryan, I think you’re an amazing athlete and this speaks volumes to your character to reach out to a small business owner like myself and let us know that you are going to do better.”

Considering that the Brewers didn’t reach out and let the ticket owners know this was happening, one can’t help but wonder how many times Braun got hung up on by some fan figuring it was some sort of prank. Guenther said he knew it was really Braun based on his TV interviews.

This all seems like a better step forward for Braun than the statement he released last month. He hasn’t held any news conferences or done any interviews since his suspension was announced. He apologized in his release, but he needs to put himself out there if he intends to win back his fans.

1. yankeepunk3000 - Sep 6, 2013 at 2:50 AM

to me it seems like pretty good PR. Nice touch. still needs to go a long way but nice tough. pretty sure 10 years from now fans won’t look at him with so much anger.

2. sabatimus - Sep 6, 2013 at 2:57 AM

Oh please. If I were a ticket holder and he called me, I’d tell him to F off.

• sw19womble - Sep 6, 2013 at 7:34 AM

As would be your right.

I’m not going to defend Braun: he’s a lying, narcissistic, cheating scumbag. However, doing something like this (whether manufactured or not) is better than hiding in a hole until next Spring like a coward.

Part of him hearing fans telling him to f off (and worse) will be good – both for betrayed fans to let off steam, and for him to hear exactly what he needs to hear.

Plus some forgiveness…. even if I personally believe what he did and how he went about it is unforgivable.

• hustleandflomax - Sep 6, 2013 at 10:36 AM

You brave keyboard warriors that have such stones behind a cloak of anonymity are just SO inspiring. Really, congratulations for being such a stand-up human being to tell a guy to “F off” for apologizing as if he owes you ANYthing.

• sabatimus - Sep 6, 2013 at 12:53 PM

If he called me, I wouldn’t be a “brave keyboard warrior”. I’d be saying it directly to his ears. And besides, I don’t think he owes me anything–HE’S the one doing the calling and apologizing. This is why saying “F off” and hanging up would be easy and true to what I’d be feeling.

However, since I’m not a Brewers’ season ticket holder, he won’t be calling me, and thank god for that.

3. seattlenative57 - Sep 6, 2013 at 3:10 AM

Totally, 100% meaningless gesture. Purely a publicity stunt. Will not repair his image or deeds. The man is a liar and cheat who got caught. Another meaningless example of self-interest damage control. Only suckers buy his drivel.

• paperlions - Sep 6, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Oh ye on high who have never lied or cheated in their life, preach on brother.

Wait, that’s not what I mean…. what I mean to say is shut your hypocritical pie hole. Just because you are lucky enough to not have your lies or cheating portraying and berated in public doesn’t make you better than Braun, just luckier.

This is publicity? That is why Braun told the media he was calling season ticket holders? And the Brewers announced it? Maybe he was just apologizing. Has every personal apology you have ever issued been insincere and only for your own benefit? Then why assume that of someone else?

• sabatimus - Sep 6, 2013 at 12:57 PM

paper, I don’t know seattlenative, but I’m reasonably certain he/she didn’t call a press conference in order to specifically and orchestratedly lie on national television. To me, it’s the level of Braun’s lies and the absolutely blatant way in which he told them that bothers me the most.

If the Brewers really wanted to make a statement, they’d do what was done to Melky and tell him not to come back.

• koufaxmitzvah - Sep 6, 2013 at 4:05 PM

I’m sorry… Where is the mention of a press conference? A local TV station interviewed a guy who got the call… Isn’t that what it says up above in the piece?

4. hildezero - Sep 6, 2013 at 3:13 AM

This guy not only cheats, but also lies. Shame.

• paperlions - Sep 6, 2013 at 7:45 AM

Well, everyone lies and cheats, including you. That is what people do, just count yourself lucky that you are so irrelevant that no one airs your transgressions publicly or would give a shit if such was done.

• Gamera the Brave - Sep 6, 2013 at 10:36 AM

‘lions
        Yer doin’ my work for me on this one – preach on, brother!

• hildezero - Sep 6, 2013 at 1:37 PM

I’m irrelevant? Says the Ryan Braun dick rider. I hardly lie and cheat and especially in those Braun levels. I actually would love for NBC to air my transgression, because I speak the truth unlike Braun and you.

5. yahmule - Sep 6, 2013 at 3:15 AM

Why that mangy polecat. Hangin’s too good fer him!

6. cadillacjosh - Sep 6, 2013 at 3:34 AM

Publicity stunt? It’s not like the guy announced he was calling people, he took it upon himself to do it. Call him a liar and a cheater all you’d like, but the only people reporting this are the people he called, not anyone from Braun’s camp.

• jarathen - Sep 6, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Not to mention that no one is demanding he do this. He is calling people and offering his guilt to them. That’s a powerful thing. he could be doing nothing back at home, but instead he took time to call and apologize to people. Most players don’t.

• rmfields - Sep 6, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Oh, please. You think Ryan Braun could call people and it WOULDN’T be reported? He didn’t have to have his PR people make this announcement. Anyone with a few brain cells would know that this story would make headlines sooner or later, with an announcement or not.

Braun has proven to be a liar and a manipulator. All of a sudden he’s a “swell guy” who “deserves a second chance.” That after he set out to ruin the reputations of the people handling his urine samples a la Lance Armstrong. I bet you think he’s just a swell guy, too huh?

7. jrod2go - Sep 6, 2013 at 3:49 AM

Way to go HBT; you gave Braun what he wanted. Please don’t waste anymore keystrokes on garbage like this.

And Braun, jstfu. Let it die til at least spring training. Go away, nobody cares.

8. jrod2go - Sep 6, 2013 at 3:59 AM

And CaddyJ, come on man…. You can’t really believe PR was never considered. Dammit man, he would have had to consulted the Brew before making any calls and they would have seen the benefits. Better they aren’t part of the story or it would seem forced. I don’t need the burden of proof to know that’s right. This is big biz buddy.

• cofran2004 - Sep 6, 2013 at 10:56 AM

when is the last time you apoligized purely because you felt bad? No one does that. Ever. They apologize to avoid anger. Sincere apologies are a thing of the past. The fact that he took the time out of his life to do this without any prompting does say something. To me, it doesnt necessarily say he’s truly sorry. It says he’s willing to work to gain back his fans approval

• jrod2go - Sep 7, 2013 at 4:17 AM

Seriously? You’re one cold hearted bag of breathe if you have never been truly remorseful and sincere with an apology.

My point is time cures all wounds. He needs to just get out of our faces for a while.

• cofran2004 - Sep 24, 2013 at 7:38 AM

I’m just speaking the truth. Sure I’ve been truly sorry for some things I’ve done. And I’ve apologized for them. But apologizing is the epitome of a selfish activity. You do it so the person knows you’re “sorry” and they won’t be mad at you for your stupidity, when in reality, you deserve it. we all know it to be true, I’m just the one who said it.

9. jimbo75025 - Sep 6, 2013 at 4:41 AM

Did he call the guy whose life he screwed up last year in lying to save his own skin? If no, then he can call all the ticket buyers he wants, but it is a meaningless gesture.

• ptfu - Sep 6, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Yes. Braun accused that drug-test-handler guy of some horrible things in trying to save himself, things far worse than being bad at his job. It’s not right to lay that on someone unless you really think it’s happening. He also drummed up support among his friends inside and outside baseball, and those people surely feel hurt and betrayed, plus they’ve got to deal with some awkward Braun questions now.

If Braun already apologized to all those people then kudos to him for doing the right thing. That’s really the story I want to read, though I understand if it will not be made public.

Season ticket holders are further down the list of priorities of people who deserve apologies. That doesn’t mean apologizing to them is a bad idea. The sooner Braun draws out their anger, the sooner everyone can move past it. Braun’s going to be a Brewer for a long time and both him and the fans will be happier with a non-negative relationship.

It’s also smart to apologize before the offseason. This season’s irretrievably tainted so get all the pain out of the way now. Go into October on a good note, let it marinate through the winter and return to spring training with a clean(er) slate.

10. mscxvd - Sep 6, 2013 at 5:36 AM

go away

11. henryd3rd - Sep 6, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Go far away

12. henryd3rd - Sep 6, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Now I would be truly impressed if he offered to refund all those Brewers’ season ticket the cost of their tickets as well as donate his 2013 salary to charity.

• Alex K - Sep 6, 2013 at 9:43 AM

It’s so easy to tell others how to spend their money, isn’t it?

• Anoesis - Sep 6, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Telling someone like Braun who broke well-known rules, lied about it, and threw people left and right under the bus, all while making a humongous amount of money doing it? That kind of “other?” Yeah, that’s pretty easy to do.

13. huskerguy - Sep 6, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Man some of you are ruthless. No wonder society has become a “what have you done for me lately” response. I hope he comes back and does well. I’m glad I got some 2nd and 3rd chances from some major screw ups… I guess a lot of you just have never royally screwed up. Ever. It’s tough to be around such perfect people in this world.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Sep 6, 2013 at 8:48 AM

People like to sit in judgement and self righteous indignation of others. I guess it makes them feel better about themselves. There is NOTHING this guy can do to make amends in the minds of some people, he will be the scum of the earth for the rest of time, no matter how he lives the rest of his life. As a society, we seem to care less and less about making amends, and more about relentlessly punishing those we feel morally superior to.

• cur68 - Sep 6, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I’ve always wondered about this trait in people. Its not everyone, mind you. Just a certain vocal portion of the population. They have some need to to say “I am better than THAT guy! Look how bad he is! That’s unforgivable!!” and say it LOUD. I’m not sure why. We all do things like Braun did. Everyone has lied about something. Cheated at something. Unfairly victimized others. You. Me. Everyone. Why jump up and down on THIS guy? Is it because the whole world knows about it? Is it because what he did was in some way monstrous? I don’t know about monstrous, either. People do far worse things than Braun did, and nothing on this scale will ever happen to them.

I think the answer is that those who yell loudest, paint with the broadest brushes, and exhibit an unforgiving and unyielding attitude to the sins of others are guilty of far worse transgressions. I guess all this condemning is a way to distract themselves and others from their own sins.

When I read these rigid, holier-than-thou comments, I always think “Man. You musta done something REALLY bad…”

• jrod2go - Sep 6, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Ignorant comment. Doubt most of us called a press conference to lie about our innocence and I sure never threw anybody under the bus, risking their meager livelihood in the process.

• koufaxmitzvah - Sep 6, 2013 at 4:12 PM

What’s ignorant is your inability to grasp how the life of an anonymous message board poster doesn’t necessarily equate the same level of public scrutiny as your run-of-the-mill face-of-the-franchise.

• jrod2go - Sep 7, 2013 at 4:20 AM

Umm, sure.

14. gmsalpha - Sep 6, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Just like Lance Armstrong, he lies and apologizes from the heart because be thinks he’s genuinely a good guy.

He should definitely go into politics post-baseball.

• jarathen - Sep 6, 2013 at 8:14 AM

I don’t recall a story about Lance Armstrong apologizing directly to people he wronged, including fansy, due to his cheating.

• jarathen - Sep 6, 2013 at 9:26 AM

That’s supposed to be FANS, not fansy.

15. blingslade - Sep 6, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Braun is just one who got caught. Reggie Jackson was a roid boy, so much so that he LITERALLY was popping out of his uniform.

Hundreds of your favorite players either are or we’re roid boys, you just don’t see them sticking the needle in their behind.

• yahmule - Sep 6, 2013 at 9:33 AM

And you do? Hundreds? You must be kind of freaky, man.

16. nbjays - Sep 6, 2013 at 8:22 AM

I love all the self-righteous outrage from a lot of posters on here. Yes, Braun screwed up, then lied about it. But at least he’s taking it upon himself to reach out to season ticket holders. Get over yourselves, folks, unless you have never made a mistake in your life.

I haven’t seen any stories of A-Rod apologizing to Yankee season ticket holders. Oh, that’s right, he doesn’t give a shit about them.

• jrod2go - Sep 6, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Oh, you mean like self-righteous posts like this chastising people for having an opinion or feeling on this topic that’s not the same as yours? Thanks, that clears things up.

17. brooklynboy48 - Sep 6, 2013 at 8:30 AM

You can believe Ryan Braun is sincere in his apologies or not, but the fact remains he screwed the guy who collected the sample and has still not publicly apologized to him. I feel this is another phony move by Braun. He and the Brewers didn’t need to talk about these phone calls to ticket holders because they knew some of the ticket holders would let the press know what was going on.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Sep 6, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Actually he did apologize to the collector. It was part of that statement he released a few weeks back.

“I sincerely apologize to everybody involved in the arbitration process, including the collector, Dino Laurenzi, Jr. I feel terrible that I put my teammates in a position where they were asked some very difficult and uncomfortable questions. One of my primary goals is to make amends with them.”

18. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Sep 6, 2013 at 8:36 AM

As I’ve said previously, Braun owes me no apology, and I personally don’t care what he injected into his system. He’s a liar and a cheat, and nothing will change that. And nothing will change most people’s view of him. I do have to say that I have some respect for this move. I’m not sure how many of the thousands of season ticket holders the team has that he actually called, (Although he certainly has some free time on his hands). But I do have to say if this is true, and if he calls everyone, it’s a pretty good move on his part. My granddaddy always told me a man stands up and owns when he makes a mistake and apologizes. You don’t have to like him, and you don’t have to accept his apology, but it takes a man to make one. He could very easily have done nothing.

19. babyfarkmcgeezax - Sep 6, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Let me puke now. Amazing that some people are actually buying this swill from a known lying snake, and actually believe this wasn’t done with PR in mind or expectations that the media wouldn’t hear about it. Yeah we’ve all lied, we also all don’t make millions and try to ruin a person’s reputation and life while trying to keep those lies alive.

• davemmm - Sep 6, 2013 at 2:52 PM

There are two kinds of people in the world. Those who mess up and move on and those who try to face it like a man and make amends. I guess that shows what kind of person you are.

The problem with screw ups is the cover up. He is finally facing it. A good first step.

• koufaxmitzvah - Sep 6, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Seriously? “This message of absolute disgust with other people was delivered by BabyFarkMcGee.”

Awesome…

20. bengalsredgreenshow - Sep 6, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Lol.. He didn’t “make a mistake” and he didn’t “own up and take responsibility” for his “mistake” he cheated for an extended period of time, then got caught, then won an appeal (while lying the entire time) on a bs theoretical possibility that never happened, lied more, said he was 100% sure.. Then got caught again, then got punished. That isn’t a mistake, that’s the life choices he made, that is WHO HE IS. Just like Vick didn’t “make a mistake”.. He lived the life that he chose until he got caught. A mistake is forgetting the cover sheet on your tps report, not pissing on the report, lighting it on fire then telling your boss you never had it.

• muskyhunter2542 - Sep 6, 2013 at 9:54 AM

He took PED’s. He didnt kill innocent dogs man!!!

• raysfan1 - Sep 6, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Don’t confuse him with factual differences between what Braun did (break a rule and probably commit a misdemeanor) vs what Vick did (commit a felony).

21. raysfan1 - Sep 6, 2013 at 9:21 AM

…and don’t come back

• jm91rs - Sep 6, 2013 at 11:24 AM

but i want to be rich for doing nothing! I have so far signed up for all of the ideas these people post on here. I figure in a few months I’ll be pulling in about 80k per month. You’ll be so sorry you didn’t want them posting here.

22. raysfan1 - Sep 6, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I saw the headline and immediately wondered how many comments there would be along the lines of not enough/nothing but PR/complete scum anyway/should give back all his money. I didn’t count them, but suffice to say that square was duly filled on the figurative checklist. I’ve commented before that there is literally nothing this guy can do that will ever be good enough for some. If he gave back his salary, it would be derided as a PR stunt. If he gave back his MCP trophy, it would be derided as a PR stunt. He could give Laurenzi $1M, the rest of his money to charity, retire from baseball, and join a monastery…and there would still be people calling him a selfish coward who only did all that for publicity.

Unfortunately, some simply are incapable or unwilling to take any sort of nuanced view that maybe he’s just another flawed human being. Like him or don’t, but the “scum” and other such labels are a bit over the top.

• raysfan1 - Sep 6, 2013 at 11:23 AM

MVP, not MCP–foiled again by big thumbs on small phone.

23. rmfields - Sep 6, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Ya’ll letting Braun off the hook are probably the same people who still condemn Vick for his mistakes in the past. Hypocrites.

• cur68 - Sep 6, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Um…what? Care to explain your logic their, Sparky? Excepting that these are professional athletes, the two sets of transgressions are in no way alike. How does one equate Braun to Vick? Braun didn’t kill anyone or anything. He took banned substances to play a pro sport. He lied when he was caught, implied dishonesty on the part of an innocent man, then confessed a year later before he was even confronted with further evidence of his rules violations (look that last part up if you like. He was never shown the evidence against him by MLB. He went to the meeting with Selig et al, and confessed straight away. Presumably out of guilt, but who knows). How does this even cross the Mike Vick Felony Crimes event-horizon and why would anyone try and equate the two?

24. hildezero - Sep 6, 2013 at 2:31 PM

@Camara The Brave,

STFU GTFO

25. daddyoblue - Sep 6, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Sooooo what the fans who go to 4 / 5 games a year ? I guess beacuse they can only afford THOSE tickets they do not get a call ? Braun needs to buy a couple of 5 gallon buckets that can the stupid that comes from him. And to think he is a role model for the younger kids. Glad I grew up with the Hammer, Banks and Mays.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5801)
  2. M. Kemp (3245)
  3. J. Kang (3192)
  4. C. McGehee (3078)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (3050)
  1. J. Upton (2984)