Sep 6, 2013, 2:22 AM EDT
Sure, it’s PR through and through, but it’s also kind of neat.
Ryan Braun, currently serving a 65-game suspension from MLB for his performance-enhancing drug usage, is calling Brewers season-ticket holders to apologize for his transgressions.
CBS 58 in Milwaukee reached out to one of the ticket holders, Pat Guenther, and got some quotes from the bar owner.
“I said what can I do for you? He said, I messed up, in a nutshell, I messed up,” Guenther told CBS 58. “I just want to reach out and say I’m sorry. I cut him off right there. I said you know Ryan, I think you’re an amazing athlete and this speaks volumes to your character to reach out to a small business owner like myself and let us know that you are going to do better.”
Considering that the Brewers didn’t reach out and let the ticket owners know this was happening, one can’t help but wonder how many times Braun got hung up on by some fan figuring it was some sort of prank. Guenther said he knew it was really Braun based on his TV interviews.
This all seems like a better step forward for Braun than the statement he released last month. He hasn’t held any news conferences or done any interviews since his suspension was announced. He apologized in his release, but he needs to put himself out there if he intends to win back his fans.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 2
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 20
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)