Sep 6, 2013, 10:35 PM EST
As if the Mets hadn’t already worn enough egg on their face for having dealt Scott Kazmir to the Rays for Victor Zambrano at the July 2004 deadline, their former lefty took them behind the shed tonight as a member of the Indians. Kazmir struck out 12 Mets hitters over six shutout innings, allowing just four hits and walking none on 97 pitches.
Kazmir’s career barely had a pulse after the 2010 season. He had compiled a 5.94 ERA in 150 innings with the Angels. He fell so far off the map that he spent the 2012 season with the Sugar Land Skeeters of the Independent League.
The Indians took a flier on Kazmir, still just 29 years old, signing him to a one-year, $1 million deal in December. With tonight’s effort, he lowered his ERA to 4.17 and he is averaging nearly a strikeout per inning pitched.
Mets starter Zack Wheeler struggled, walking five in five frames and allowing three runs (two earned) on five hits. Indians reliever Cody Allen surrendered a solo home run to shortstop Justin Turner in the seventh, but that was the extent of the Mets’ offense. After Joe Smith tossed a scoreless top of the eighth, the Indians tacked on some more offense in the bottom half as Nick Swisher hit a grand slam to left field off of Mets lefty reliever TIm Byrdak, putting his team up 8-1. Matt Albers sealed the deal with a clean ninth inning, recording two strikeouts.
The Tigers trounced James Shields and the Royals tonight, so the Indians remain 6.5 games out of first place in the AL Central. They temporarily improve to 2.5 games behind the Rays — in progress against the Mariners — for the second Wild Card.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (158)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (134)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)