Sep 6, 2013, 10:35 PM EDT
As if the Mets hadn’t already worn enough egg on their face for having dealt Scott Kazmir to the Rays for Victor Zambrano at the July 2004 deadline, their former lefty took them behind the shed tonight as a member of the Indians. Kazmir struck out 12 Mets hitters over six shutout innings, allowing just four hits and walking none on 97 pitches.
Kazmir’s career barely had a pulse after the 2010 season. He had compiled a 5.94 ERA in 150 innings with the Angels. He fell so far off the map that he spent the 2012 season with the Sugar Land Skeeters of the Independent League.
The Indians took a flier on Kazmir, still just 29 years old, signing him to a one-year, $1 million deal in December. With tonight’s effort, he lowered his ERA to 4.17 and he is averaging nearly a strikeout per inning pitched.
Mets starter Zack Wheeler struggled, walking five in five frames and allowing three runs (two earned) on five hits. Indians reliever Cody Allen surrendered a solo home run to shortstop Justin Turner in the seventh, but that was the extent of the Mets’ offense. After Joe Smith tossed a scoreless top of the eighth, the Indians tacked on some more offense in the bottom half as Nick Swisher hit a grand slam to left field off of Mets lefty reliever TIm Byrdak, putting his team up 8-1. Matt Albers sealed the deal with a clean ninth inning, recording two strikeouts.
The Tigers trounced James Shields and the Royals tonight, so the Indians remain 6.5 games out of first place in the AL Central. They temporarily improve to 2.5 games behind the Rays — in progress against the Mariners — for the second Wild Card.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 14
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 54
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 52
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 46
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)