Sep 6, 2013, 4:16 PM EST
Rice is a good story, finally getting to the majors for the first time at age 31 after 14 seasons in the minors as a former first-round draft pick, and he’s been death to left-handed hitters by holding them to a .174 batting average and .468 OPS in 138 plate appearances.
He’s been awful against righties, allowing them to hit .362 with a .955 OPS, but 65 percent of Rice’s action has come versus lefties. He seems likely to have a spot in the Mets’ bullpen next season.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)