The Marlins and NFL linebacker Jonathan Vilma are in a legal fight over BBQ

Sep 6, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT

Marlins Miami new logo

The New Orleans Saints’ Jonathan Vilma is part owner of a barbecue restaurant chain called Brother Jimmy’s. Until recently there was a Brother Jimmy’s in Marlins Park in Miami. Now there isn’t and the Marlins and Vilma’s restaurant have filed lawsuits at one another.

The upshot: the Marlins say that Brother Jimmy’s never paid a $75,000 sponsorship fee it owed the team to be in the ballpark. Brother Jimmy’s claims no agreement was ever reached and, even if one was, the Marlins and their concession operator totally botched the operation of the franchise by making bad food and providing crappy service, which hurts the Brother Jimmy’s brand. And then there’s this:

Brother Jimmy’s and Vilma also claim the Marlins made promises that attendance for the new ballpark would average 28,000 per game for the 2012 season, a mark that wasn’t hit. “They unfortunately sold us a dream, the attendance wasn’t what they were marketing to us, it was probably a fraction of that,” Vilma said.

Shocking there.

No idea who is right and who is wrong here, legally speaking, but I would advise Vilma and his business to push for a jury trial in Miami. No Dade County jury is gonna give the Marlins the benefit of the doubt.

1. proudlycanadian - Sep 6, 2013 at 8:49 AM

LOL! Great legal advice.

2. jdv22 - Sep 6, 2013 at 8:51 AM

The FEESH for the win!

3. jcmeyer10 - Sep 6, 2013 at 8:54 AM

This is just tasty.

4. zzalapski - Sep 6, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Vilma’s first mistake was believing anything the Marlins told him.

5. Old Gator - Sep 6, 2013 at 9:26 AM

It’s now the fourth year of the sorry saga of Macondo Banana Massacre Field, and the row of shops along SW 11th Street at the base of the stadium – the one whose cici boutiques, cafés and shop(pe)s was supposed to “transform” the neighborhood (which really needs no transforming, according to the mixed bag of upper-tier blue and middle-tier white collar folks who live pretty happily in it) remain empty, windows empapiered with plain brown wrapping paper or festooned with the occasional advertising poster for a long ago Pitbull concert or impending backandforthandbackandforthandbackandforthball match between Sulaco and Costaguana. That the stadium lost a barbecue joint, along with about ninety percent of its fan base, is not really shocking, just another aspect of its dawdling apocalypse.

Craig’s right, though. A few months back Macondo voters took their vorpal blades to Steve Ross’ gambit to suck up more public money to refurbish Joeprodolsharklife Stadium, the Feesh’s former holding pen. What you have to keep in mind was that those were Dolfeen fans voting against their own team’s owner not because they hated the Dolfeens (who have given them plenty of reason to, of course) but because they hated Scrooge McLoria. Finding a neutral juror in this community would be a hoot and a half: “So, Mr. Nostromo, how many weeks ago did you climb out of your tire on south beach?”

• heat256 - Sep 6, 2013 at 10:02 AM

You are one hell of a verbose gasbag. Kudos, good sir. Your prose is wasted on ruminating over the failure that is professional baseball in vapid, ADD-riddled South Florida.

• Old Gator - Sep 6, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I guess some folks just don’t think you’re manly unless you voluntarily freeze your ass orf for four or five months a year. I won’t argue. You stay north and freeze. I’ll be admiring your hypertrophied androgen secretions from the floating lounge chair in my backyard swimming pool while sipping a piña colada and reading Lawrence Durrell through my Gucci shades.

• cur68 - Sep 6, 2013 at 10:55 AM

In case you were wondering, Gator, not everyone minds your writing. I could give a crap about “Brother Jimmys” and I could give a further crap about Loria’s trouble with them, but its nice to get more information on the topic. And, since I can read, don’t mind looking up big words, and might even take a small amount of enjoyment from figuring out meaning from 97 word sentence, I even enjoy how you can do that AND convey information.

Why someone feels the need to get on this blog and make bellicose statements about your writing style is beyond me. You use multiple big words in grammatically correct (as far as I can tell) long sentences. Big. Deal. This is hardly some sort of major transgression. It is, in fact, a nice change from some of the poorly spelled, badly punctuated, illiterate, text-speak laden offerings one occasionally sees about the old blog. I guess some people can’t bear the thought that there might someone out there with just a soupçon of an education and who isn’t afraid to use it.

Cheers.

• Gamera the Brave - Sep 6, 2013 at 10:59 AM

But, Gator, did the vorpal blades actually go “snicker-snack”?

Sticking to the tangent, I really enjoy using the verb “galumphing” in sentences – if only to observe the blank, puzzled expressions of response. Everyone has read “Jabberwocky” at one time or another, so they know the word from SOMEWHERE…

I just re-read the my comment above – turns out I’m kind of a pompous dick…
      Sigh…

• happytwinsfan - Sep 6, 2013 at 11:50 AM

to truly hate something you must also love it.

• Old Gator - Sep 6, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Whereas it rejoices my ventricles that some of you caught the “Jabberwocky” allusions, it freights my valves with dolor that you missed the Conrad. (pages of exhalations)

6. yahmule - Sep 6, 2013 at 9:36 AM

The battle between the leagues continues. You would think all those dead crows they had to sweep off the field @ Mile High last night would be enough carnage.

7. tomtravis76 - Sep 6, 2013 at 9:53 AM

There must have been a sponsorship agreement to get in the ballpark. You would think both sides would have a copy of the agreement.

• Old Gator - Sep 6, 2013 at 1:48 PM

This battle between Vilma and Scrooge McLoria reminds me of nothing so much as the glorious old oil painting of Triceratops squaring orf against a T-rex you used to be able to see on the wall in the Cretaceous hall of the Museum of Natural History in Nyorc, before it became politically incorrect to let their tails touch the ground.

8. dexterismyhero - Sep 6, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Vilma is a turd.

• asimonetti88 - Sep 6, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Vilma is indeed a turd, and the Marlins’ management are a collection of turds as well. Hard to root for anyone here.

9. jwbiii - Sep 6, 2013 at 10:08 AM

They just need to chill out and listen to some Marcia Ball.

• yahmule - Sep 6, 2013 at 10:21 AM

A little Marcia Ball is a fine way to start a Friday morning.

8~)

10. Gamera the Brave - Sep 6, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Wasn’t Vilma Fred Flintstone’s Russian mail-order bride?
    I seem to recall the closing credits, where Fred gets locked out, and yells “Viiiiiiiiiiiiiiillllllmaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!”

And no, I am not high – it just sounds like I am…

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5080)