Sep 6, 2013, 1:40 PM EST
Ever notice that you rarely get replays of close plays up on the jumbotron at the ballpark? Sam Mellinger tells us why:
MLB limits replays to once, at real speed, but not during an argument over the play and not in a way that might start an argument or create a negative reaction from the crowd. In practice, pressure and insecurity from umpires has created pressure from the league office that means most stadiums won’t show anything but the most mundane replays.
Mellinger also explains that this policy, according to some league sources, could be under review and he argues that, as a part of expanded replay, MLB should junk this stupid and antiquated rule.
Also of note: Mellinger notes in passing that there is an unwritten rule among umpires that if a manager or player arguing calls on the field uses the word “replay” that he’s basically going to be ejected. Which is beyond stupid. And we think these people are going to be totally cool about MLB handing managers the rule-created right to challenge their calls via replay? They’re not going to retaliate, subtly or otherwise, when their authority is challenged? Good luck.
Larger point: any system which encourages the denial of reality or which, by design, prevents people from getting otherwise easily-obtained information, is inherently flawed and begging to be cast aside. This one is no exception.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)