Sep 6, 2013, 1:40 PM EDT
Ever notice that you rarely get replays of close plays up on the jumbotron at the ballpark? Sam Mellinger tells us why:
MLB limits replays to once, at real speed, but not during an argument over the play and not in a way that might start an argument or create a negative reaction from the crowd. In practice, pressure and insecurity from umpires has created pressure from the league office that means most stadiums won’t show anything but the most mundane replays.
Mellinger also explains that this policy, according to some league sources, could be under review and he argues that, as a part of expanded replay, MLB should junk this stupid and antiquated rule.
Also of note: Mellinger notes in passing that there is an unwritten rule among umpires that if a manager or player arguing calls on the field uses the word “replay” that he’s basically going to be ejected. Which is beyond stupid. And we think these people are going to be totally cool about MLB handing managers the rule-created right to challenge their calls via replay? They’re not going to retaliate, subtly or otherwise, when their authority is challenged? Good luck.
Larger point: any system which encourages the denial of reality or which, by design, prevents people from getting otherwise easily-obtained information, is inherently flawed and begging to be cast aside. This one is no exception.
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 12
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 19
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 34
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 13
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)