Sep 7, 2013, 11:05 PM EDT
The NL Central continues to provide drama as September rages on, with the Cardinals and Pirates waging battle for first place in the division this weekend. Adam Wainwright brought his A-game with his team entering the night 0.5 games out of first place, as he shut the Pirates out over seven innings of work. He allowed just two hits and two walks while striking out eight, lowering his ERA to 3.03 in the process.
The Cardinal offense got to Pirates starter Jeff Locke in the fourth, scoring twice on a David Freese sacrifice fly and a Pete Kozma RBI single. They would tack on a run in each of the fifth, sixth, and eighth innings as well, more than enough support for their ace. Trevor Rosenthal, Seth Maness, and Randy Choate teamed up for the final six outs of the game to lock up the 5-0 victory, pushing the Cardinals 0.5 games ahead of the Pirates at the top of the NL Central.
Jun 30, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
The majority of the baseball-watching world hasn’t seemed to notice yet.
Jun 30, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Warren had a 3.59 ERA in 14 starts.
Jun 30, 2015, 9:25 AM EDT
And Chris Young was not too pleased about it.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:51 AM EDT
It goes far, far deeper than you ever could’ve imagined.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
One he gets past 45 pitches he turns every opposing hitter into Lou Gehrig.
Jun 30, 2015, 7:32 AM EDT
Mike Trout put on a clinic against the Yankees last night.
Jun 30, 2015, 12:23 AM EDT
We often take intentional walks for granted. Four tosses to the catcher. How hard can it be? Pretty hard, at least sometimes.
Jun 29, 2015, 11:45 PM EDT
Hamilton now has 40 stolen bases on the year, which is more than 15 MLB teams. You are reading that correctly.
Jun 29, 2015, 9:58 PM EDT
You’ve probably heard this advice for hitting knuckleballers before: If it’s low, let it go. If it’s high, let it fly. Well, Red Sox third baseman Pablo Sandoval took that to the extreme tonight against R.A. Dickey of the Blue Jays…
Jun 29, 2015, 9:09 PM EDT
Of course that happened.
Jun 29, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Brewers outfielder Khris Davis needed surgery about a month ago for a torn meniscus in his right knee.
Jun 29, 2015, 8:09 PM EDT
It was reported over the weekend that the Dodgers and Cubs were among the teams with interest in a trade for Mets left-hander Jon Niese.
Jun 29, 2015, 7:28 PM EDT
Ramirez has been cleared to swing a bat and Red Sox manager John Farrell is optimistic that he’ll be able to return during the team’s four-game series in Toronto this week.
Jun 29, 2015, 7:01 PM EDT
Moore had Tommy John surgery last April.
Jun 29, 2015, 6:14 PM EDT
Casilla has mostly played at the Triple-A level for the past two seasons.
Jun 29, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT
Cron hit well at Triple-A, batting .323 with six homers and a 1.014 OPS.
Jun 29, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
It’ll only cost you a cool $3.8 million.
Jun 29, 2015, 5:03 PM EDT
More bad health news for a guy who has had his fair share of it in his brief career.
Jun 29, 2015, 4:35 PM EDT
As of now, Ruben Amaro is in control here, in the White House. Er, I mean in the Phillies’ front office.
Jun 29, 2015, 3:50 PM EDT
Six of the eight spots seem all but settled.
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 16
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 38
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 35
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)