Derek Jeter exits with soreness near ankle

Sep 7, 2013, 4:36 PM EDT

Derek Jeter Getty Images

When Derek Jeter was pulled for a pinch-runner in the sixth inning Saturday, the hope was the Yankees were just preserving him in a 12-6 game. However, FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal reported three innings later that Jeter was taken out due to soreness around the ankle he broke in the postseason last year.

Jeter singled in a run in his final at-bat Saturday. The half-inning before, he fielded a grounder at short a little awkwardly and threw wide of the bag at first, giving Jonny Gomes a single (they don’t call errors on Jeter at Yankee Stadium).

Jeter was back at shortstop today after DHing last night. His status going forward is very uncertain at this point. Maybe he can DH, but it’s not like he’s much of an asset there. The Yankees would prefer to continue to rotate Alfonso Soriano and Curtis Granderson in that spot. Jeter has very little range at shortstop with his legs giving him so much trouble — he suffered setbacks with his quad and calf as he rehabbed the ankle — but given that the alternative is Eduardo Nunez, Jeter might still be the team’s best option when he’s able to play.

1. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 7, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Just shut him down. He’s going to, unfortunately, trigger his player option next year, so get him healthy. Shut down Robertson too.

3 games back with 2 teams ahead of them with 20 to play.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 7, 2013 at 5:06 PM

I wonder if this setback might make him decide to retire?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 7, 2013 at 7:23 PM

I doubt it. The man is too arrogant to walk away. He’ll play for the $8M and then try to hold the Yanks hostage again after his contract is up. The same way he did 3 years ago.

2. gibbyfan - Sep 7, 2013 at 4:54 PM

It’s hard to understand the thinking of the smartest business people on the planet when they sign aging players to huge contracts……..it almost seems pathetic.

• ezthinking - Sep 8, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Gibby- It’s not hard to understand why my daughter hates you on iCarly.

3. proudlycanadian - Sep 7, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Gloom!

4. mybrunoblog - Sep 7, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Meh. It’s become a lost season for both Jeter and the Yanks. My will is mostly broken. Is it April 2014 yet?

• cackalackyank - Sep 7, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Wish I thought I could assure you that next year will be much better…

5. titansbro - Sep 7, 2013 at 5:01 PM

So much money in A-Rod & Jeter with so little production. They should be more like the Red Sox & find someone to take these massive stupid contracts off their hands & give them top prospects in return.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 7, 2013 at 5:08 PM

No other team wants them.

• ezthinking - Sep 8, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Like the Marlins did to the Jays.

6. buffalo65 - Sep 7, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Great player, end of an era for the yanks. Looking forward to the first of Many also rans for New York as they reset.

• dcarroll73 - Sep 8, 2013 at 1:49 AM

Good luck with that looking forward! There is a reason the Yanks have been working so hard to get under the luxury threshold. When they do, be afraid, be very afraid!

7. banger60 - Sep 7, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Time to put him to pasture, they should have let his ankle fully heal, don’t think it ever did.

8. aceshigh11 - Sep 7, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I don’t care which team you root for…and hell, I root for the Red Sox…you’ve got to feel for this guy.

He wants to play, he’s got a lot of pride, he’s one of the all-time greats…and he’s looking pretty pitiful out there. I agree that maybe he should be shut down…if he focuses on 2014, maybe he can come back and add some value to the team.

• pisano - Sep 7, 2013 at 5:58 PM

aces,….. in reality I think it’s time for him to hang them up. He’s had a great career, but the writings on the wall, I believe it’s definitely time for him to walk away from the game.

• aceshigh11 - Sep 7, 2013 at 6:02 PM

I forget, but is he signed for another season, or is he optioned?

I know, it’s starting to look pretty obvious that he’s done, but I’d hate to see him go out like this.

• cackalackyank - Sep 7, 2013 at 7:07 PM

I feel about the same…if there was still such a thing as player coaches…maybe he could fill in….but I do not see him taking such a role, even if it was still done. Time to head on up to the press box, or off to Hollywood. He has a player option at I believe 8 million. At this point there are really only two things that will happen…he takes the option and takes a farewell lap next year ala Mo, OR he declines and retires. I no longer think he can ask for more than 8 Mil from anyone, NYY included with a straight face. One could argue that having rehabbed too much too soon trying to be ready by opening day impeded the healing process, and also put him off his ” conditioning” regimen. I think the # on the calendar has more to do with his condition at this point.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 7, 2013 at 7:26 PM

I forget, but is he signed for another season, or is he optioned?

Player option for $8M with a $3M buyout. He’s going to exercise it, no question.

9. s2mikey - Sep 7, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Jeter is spent. Sell by date is way past. Is he broke or something? He’s getting dangerously close to hanging on too long and tarnishing his reputation. Dude has rings, money, and fame. Just stop it already. Go coach little league or something if you need to be around the game. What a joke.

10. hieronymous27 - Sep 7, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Would hate to see Jeter pull a Willie Mays and embarrass himself by hanging around too long. Jeter’s situation is starting to remind me of an aging parent who has no business driving a car. You pray that the person would recognize that his/her ability to do what they had been formerly been able to do has diminished to such a point that the only sensible decision is to acknowledge the passing of time and give it up gracefully before something much worse happens.

• dcarroll73 - Sep 8, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Excuse me!!! As a fan of both the Giants (NY and SF) and the Yanks, I can state that there is so much wrong with your remarks that it hurts the head of any baseball fan who needs three little boxes to write down his or her IQ. First of all, Willie Mays was harmed irreparably by playing at Candlestick, and if he had played his career in NY, we’d be talking about his godson passing him for the career record not Mr. Aaron. Secondly if he chose to play as long as he wanted to, I don’t think anyone except maybe one of the other few candidates for “best baseball player ever” should have a word to say. As for Jeter, the man has earned much more respect than you are showing. The guy was playing hurt last year and putting up good numbers. Now he tries to push himself back when his team is riddled with injuries, and he knows that they don’t have a good alternative to him and a few extra wins could make the playoffs. Mind you that we have a pretty small sample size from the little bit that he has been able to play, but it is STILL better than the options the Yanks were running out there. For this you trash him and compare him to a senior who has lost it? Please stop and think before typing.

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline