Sep 7, 2013, 1:26 PM EST
UPDATE: This is not good. From ESPN Boston:
An industry source said Saturday that doctors are trying to determine whether Ellsbury has a deep bone bruise or fracture in his right foot,
Either one of those is really hard to come back from in short order. If it’s a fracture Ellsbury could be done for the year. If it’s bruise, it could easily mean the same thing depending on how severe it is and bow much it limits him. Man, this could be bad.
10:45 AM: Things are coming up roses for the Red Sox lately, but this is somewhat concerning: he is returning to Boston to get his injured foot checked out. Ellsbury sat out last night and obviously will miss today’s game too. Whether he makes it for Sunday’s game depends on what the doctors find, obviously.
Ellsbury leads baseball with 52 stolen bases on the year and his .355 OBP at the top of the Sox’ lineup has been a huge part of them building their division lead. He’s been especially hot of late. For now, though, the Sox have called up Jackie Bradley, Jr. to take Ellsbury’s spot in center.
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 40
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 21
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 62
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)