Sep 7, 2013, 1:26 PM EDT
UPDATE: This is not good. From ESPN Boston:
An industry source said Saturday that doctors are trying to determine whether Ellsbury has a deep bone bruise or fracture in his right foot,
Either one of those is really hard to come back from in short order. If it’s a fracture Ellsbury could be done for the year. If it’s bruise, it could easily mean the same thing depending on how severe it is and bow much it limits him. Man, this could be bad.
10:45 AM: Things are coming up roses for the Red Sox lately, but this is somewhat concerning: he is returning to Boston to get his injured foot checked out. Ellsbury sat out last night and obviously will miss today’s game too. Whether he makes it for Sunday’s game depends on what the doctors find, obviously.
Ellsbury leads baseball with 52 stolen bases on the year and his .355 OBP at the top of the Sox’ lineup has been a huge part of them building their division lead. He’s been especially hot of late. For now, though, the Sox have called up Jackie Bradley, Jr. to take Ellsbury’s spot in center.
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 3
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 4
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 37
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)