Sep 7, 2013, 1:26 PM EST
UPDATE: This is not good. From ESPN Boston:
An industry source said Saturday that doctors are trying to determine whether Ellsbury has a deep bone bruise or fracture in his right foot,
Either one of those is really hard to come back from in short order. If it’s a fracture Ellsbury could be done for the year. If it’s bruise, it could easily mean the same thing depending on how severe it is and bow much it limits him. Man, this could be bad.
10:45 AM: Things are coming up roses for the Red Sox lately, but this is somewhat concerning: he is returning to Boston to get his injured foot checked out. Ellsbury sat out last night and obviously will miss today’s game too. Whether he makes it for Sunday’s game depends on what the doctors find, obviously.
Ellsbury leads baseball with 52 stolen bases on the year and his .355 OBP at the top of the Sox’ lineup has been a huge part of them building their division lead. He’s been especially hot of late. For now, though, the Sox have called up Jackie Bradley, Jr. to take Ellsbury’s spot in center.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 67
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 25
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 256
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (257)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)