UPDATE: Jacoby Ellsbury could have a fractured foot

Sep 7, 2013, 1:26 PM EST

Jacoby Ellsbury AP

UPDATE: This is not good. From ESPN Boston:

An industry source said Saturday that doctors are trying to determine whether Ellsbury has a deep bone bruise or fracture in his right foot,

Either one of those is really hard to come back from in short order. If it’s a fracture Ellsbury could be done for the year. If it’s bruise, it could easily mean the same thing depending on how severe it is and bow much it limits him.  Man, this could be bad.

10:45 AM: Things are coming up roses for the Red Sox lately, but this is somewhat concerning: he is returning to Boston to get his injured foot checked out. Ellsbury sat out last night and obviously will miss today’s game too. Whether he makes it for Sunday’s game depends on what the doctors find, obviously.

Ellsbury leads baseball with 52 stolen bases on the year and his .355 OBP at the top of the Sox’ lineup has been a huge part of them building their division lead. He’s been especially hot of late. For now, though, the Sox have called up Jackie Bradley, Jr. to take Ellsbury’s spot in center.

1. globalwork90 - Sep 7, 2013 at 12:05 PM

@Loise, you make $27h thats great going girl good for you! My story is that I quit working at shoprite to work online, seriously I couldn’t be happier I work when I want and where I want. And with a little effort I easily bring in $35h and sometimes even as much as $85h…heres a good example of what i’m doing,go to this site home tab for more detail—>>> http://goo.gl/0oImC3

2. edelmanfanclub - Sep 7, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Uh..

3. proudlycanadian - Sep 7, 2013 at 2:29 PM

So far, the Red Sox do not seem to need him. They won the first 2 games against the Evil Empire and have taken a big lead early in today’s game.

• theskinsman - Sep 7, 2013 at 3:19 PM

The Bosox DO need him. The playoffs will be a much tougher task than the Yanks are. Not good at all.

• aceshigh11 - Sep 7, 2013 at 4:45 PM

You can’t make that claim based off two games. The Sox are going to need everyone who has contributed this year if they want to go deep into the playoffs.

4. mornelithe - Sep 7, 2013 at 2:41 PM

It’s really too bad for Ells, he’s a great player. I hope whatever it is heals quickly and he’s able to return. If not, he’s still a huge part of the season.

That having been said, the Sox do appear to be putting up runs in droves w/ or w/o him, every person on the team is contributing, it’s not just 1 or two players carrying the offensive load. So, he’ll be missed, but it won’t necessarily impact the offense much. JBJ’s speed in the OF is of greater concern I think. Jacoby’s coverage in CF is pretty huge because of his speed.

Also, I can’t help but imagine that this will impact his upcoming free agency. If he’s out for the season, that would have to potentially translate into millions lost, right?

5. onbucky96 - Sep 7, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Satan Boras should be worried. Pending Free Agents need to be healthy to get $100million contracts.

6. tfbuckfutter - Sep 7, 2013 at 3:53 PM

He should invest in having his body replaced with a higher quality of glass than it currently is composed of.

• 18thstreet - Sep 7, 2013 at 3:59 PM

STFU. See how you feel with a broken foot. See how long you can go about your arduous regiment of commenting on the internet with a cracked rib.

• tfbuckfutter - Sep 7, 2013 at 4:12 PM

So….your argument against him being injury prone is to point out how frequently he finds himself seriously injured?

• aceshigh11 - Sep 7, 2013 at 4:52 PM

He’s not questioning his toughness. He’s simply stating that he is, in fact, VERY injury-prone.

He’s an extremely gifted player but it should give teams pause when he starts naming his price and years during contract negotiations.

• jimeejohnson - Sep 7, 2013 at 5:03 PM

You mad, Boston bro?

• Glenn - Sep 7, 2013 at 6:20 PM

I am going to guess that, only with the exception of people with very rare diseases or osteoporosis, NOBODY is injury prone for broken bones (of which Ellsbury now has done twice) and NOBODY is injury prone for collision injuries (unless they keep running into walls like Pete Reiser did)

7. papacrick - Sep 7, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Lol I wouldn’t give this dude 100k. He might play 200 games in 5 years

• jimeejohnson - Sep 7, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Are you GM for the Indians?

• mornelithe - Sep 7, 2013 at 6:20 PM

You do realize he’s played in 205 games between 2012 and 2013 right? In 7 years (including his rookie year), he’s played 712 games….do the math.

8. xpensivewinos - Sep 7, 2013 at 5:08 PM

This means more money in free agency. You know, after Boras sells someone on the whole better than ever, bionic foot thing.

Way faster now and it can’t break again……promise!

9. buffalo65 - Sep 7, 2013 at 5:16 PM

3 years 33 million.

10. thebigtim2012 - Sep 7, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Between boras and the injuries this should be jacobys farewell season in Boston. The future is Jackie Bradley. I enjoyed watching him up close and personal here in columbia and the kid seems to be the real deal. Having him up to start the year in boston was rushing things. I have no doubt he will be a solid contributor next year and he’s nowhere near as fragile as jacoby. Don’t get me wrong I think jacoby is a heck of a player and a great clubhouse guy but with what boras is gonna be asking for and the amount of time he misses I just don’t see him coming back. Maybe if we didn’t have Bradley jr waiting in the wings is be singing a different tune but he’s there and I’m not.

11. pisano - Sep 7, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Talk about horrible timing, not only with the playoffs ahead, but this is his walk year and he’s going to get a lot of attention. I hope this doesn’t affect his free agency, for his sake anyway.

12. chlstn - Sep 8, 2013 at 9:16 AM

As hard as that boy plays, it’s no wonder he gets banged up. Both he and the Red Sox will be fine.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5884)