Sep 7, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
The Associated Press is reporting that Blue Jays outfielder Melky Cabrera had a benign tumor removed from his spine on August 30. He had already been shut down since the beginning of the month due to an issue with the meniscus in his left knee.
Cabrera was having a comparatively poor 2013 campaign after a career year with the Giants last season in which he hit .346 with a .906 OPS. He signed a two-year, $16 million deal with the Blue Jays during the off-season, surprisingly low for someone who hit as well as he did, but he brought with him some question marks as he had been suspended for 50 games in August last season. He avoided further punishment from Major League Baseball for his involvement with Biogenesis.
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 8
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 15
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 12
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 31
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)