Sep 7, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
The Associated Press is reporting that Blue Jays outfielder Melky Cabrera had a benign tumor removed from his spine on August 30. He had already been shut down since the beginning of the month due to an issue with the meniscus in his left knee.
Cabrera was having a comparatively poor 2013 campaign after a career year with the Giants last season in which he hit .346 with a .906 OPS. He signed a two-year, $16 million deal with the Blue Jays during the off-season, surprisingly low for someone who hit as well as he did, but he brought with him some question marks as he had been suspended for 50 games in August last season. He avoided further punishment from Major League Baseball for his involvement with Biogenesis.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (250)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)