Sep 7, 2013, 6:30 PM EST
The Associated Press is reporting that Blue Jays outfielder Melky Cabrera had a benign tumor removed from his spine on August 30. He had already been shut down since the beginning of the month due to an issue with the meniscus in his left knee.
Cabrera was having a comparatively poor 2013 campaign after a career year with the Giants last season in which he hit .346 with a .906 OPS. He signed a two-year, $16 million deal with the Blue Jays during the off-season, surprisingly low for someone who hit as well as he did, but he brought with him some question marks as he had been suspended for 50 games in August last season. He avoided further punishment from Major League Baseball for his involvement with Biogenesis.
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 32
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 78
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 129
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 22
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (132)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)