Sep 7, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
The Associated Press is reporting that Blue Jays outfielder Melky Cabrera had a benign tumor removed from his spine on August 30. He had already been shut down since the beginning of the month due to an issue with the meniscus in his left knee.
Cabrera was having a comparatively poor 2013 campaign after a career year with the Giants last season in which he hit .346 with a .906 OPS. He signed a two-year, $16 million deal with the Blue Jays during the off-season, surprisingly low for someone who hit as well as he did, but he brought with him some question marks as he had been suspended for 50 games in August last season. He avoided further punishment from Major League Baseball for his involvement with Biogenesis.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)