Melky Cabrera has a tumor removed from his spine

Sep 7, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT

Toronto Blue Jays' Cabrera heads to the batters box during the first inning of their MLB baseball game against the San Francisco Giants in San Francisco, California Reuters

The Associated Press is reporting that Blue Jays outfielder Melky Cabrera had a benign tumor removed from his spine on August 30. He had already been shut down since the beginning of the month due to an issue with the meniscus in his left knee.

Cabrera was having a comparatively poor 2013 campaign after a career year with the Giants last season in which he hit .346 with a .906 OPS. He signed a two-year, $16 million deal with the Blue Jays during the off-season, surprisingly low for someone who hit as well as he did, but he brought with him some question marks as he had been suspended for 50 games in August last season. He avoided further punishment from Major League Baseball for his involvement with Biogenesis.

1. buffalo65 - Sep 7, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Hope for a full recovery and a better year as Lind’s replacement at DH.

2. cur68 - Sep 7, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Holy crap. Spine and near-spine surgery is no picnic. Get well soon, Melky.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 7, 2013 at 6:50 PM

He is expected to be ready for spring training.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 7, 2013 at 6:55 PM

I see that Bill did not post a link. The story is on the Sportsnet website.

• Bill Baer - Sep 7, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Sorry about that, I’ve linked one now.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 7, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Thank you Bill.

3. jmmsr1 - Sep 7, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I wonder if it has anything to do with steroids use ?

• proudlycanadian - Sep 7, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Not likely. I once knew a person who had a massive tumor around his body that was attached to his spine. That person’s drug of choice was port wine.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 7, 2013 at 7:13 PM

On the TSN website, Scott MacArthur writes that the medical community does not link benign masses to steroid use. He did write that there have been malignancies linked to performance enhancing drugs. This tumor was benign rather than malignant. He also wrote that tumors like this keep growing and without an operation will eventually completely circle the body at the waist.

4. jmmsr1 - Sep 7, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Steroid use?

• raysfan1 - Sep 7, 2013 at 7:40 PM

5. chip56 - Sep 7, 2013 at 7:26 PM

“surprisingly low for someone who hit as well as he did”

It’s only surprisingly low if you don’t believe steroids have an impact on player performance. If you look at his “clean years” it was quite a generous contract.

• Reflex - Sep 7, 2013 at 7:32 PM

What years do you have evidence were clean?

• chip56 - Sep 7, 2013 at 10:56 PM

I don’t, hence the quotes around “clean years” though as he only failed a test last year and was tested every year since 2009 one has to give him the benefit of the doubt that he was clean in the years he did not test positive for a banned substance.

• Reflex - Sep 7, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Or, alternately, teams know that PEDs have little effect on on-field performance and as a result managed to get him fairly cheap. Which based on his perf, they did. Personally though I felt he was always due to regress to his mean.

• chip56 - Sep 8, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Teams don’t know that that PEDs have little effect on on-field performance. Unlike some holier than though members of the media and their sycophant following, teams understand that while PEDs can’t help you hit a curveball they do allow you to train harder and longer and that training can improve your on the field results substantially by improving your bat speed.

• Reflex - Sep 8, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I’ve never heard that training longer and harder increases bat speed. That’s a new one to me. I’ve heard people claim it helps you muscle a baseball over a wall, and there is likely some truth to that, but that’s not due to bat speed.

Also, stopping steroids would not magically make all that training or ‘bat speed’ go away. So why would a team care if a player stopped? It might mean an end to growth, but it won’t necessarily mean a regression.

Hell, even this year, which is seen as poor, Melky is hitting around his career averages. It appears pretty obvious to me that he went to two weaker divisions(AL Central, AL West) and performed at a higher level, then returned to the tough AL East and regressed to his career averages. Not too tough to figure out.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 7, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Your year by year proof?

• chip56 - Sep 7, 2013 at 11:01 PM

As I said above, testing started in 2009, he was tested every year and did not come up positive until 2012 so if you want to give him the benefit of the doubt then he was clean at least between 2009 and 2011. Personally my suspicion is that he started using following his season with the Braves because he needed to put together a good year or else find himself getting nontendered again and likely having to settle for a minor league contract and spring training invite, but since I don’t have proof of that I will, as I said, give him the benefit of the doubt.

So if you take 2012 out of the mix then I would say that 2 years at $8/year is a very high contract for a .270 hitter with minimal power and solid defense.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 8, 2013 at 8:49 AM

You are ignoring his year in 2011 when he was 27. He hit .305 with 18 home runs and 87 RBI’s for the Royals. Typically baseball players tend to improve their performance when they turn 27.

• chip56 - Sep 8, 2013 at 9:26 AM

I’m not ignoring it. Like I said, he likely started looking for an edge after he was released by the Braves following his 2010 season. That said, since he didn’t test positive I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt about his good year with the Royals.

When you look at that year (and his year with the Giants) those two seasons clearly don’t match up with the rest of his career including this year with the Blue Jays.

• chip56 - Sep 8, 2013 at 9:30 AM

and, incidentally, call me jaded but going from almost out of baseball to All Star in two years takes more than getting older.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 8, 2013 at 9:42 AM

OK! You are jaded.

6. drewsylvania - Sep 7, 2013 at 7:58 PM

What does this have to do with him being one of history’s greatest monsters? #MSM

7. nbjays - Sep 7, 2013 at 8:06 PM

I’m glad it’s benign and I hope he’s good to go for Spring Training.

Speaking of tumors, did dirtyharry1971 go on “vacation” again since the Jays have been winning and the Yankees losing?

• Old Gator - Sep 7, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Nope. School’s back now and ninth grade is hard on idiots.

• nbjays - Sep 8, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Gator, I think you are giving harry more credit than is due. My son finished ninth grade in June and he has easily twice the maturity of our resident Artificial Stupidity.

• theskinsman - Sep 8, 2013 at 5:09 AM

Harry is a front running,bandwagon fool who always is absent when his yanks are getting destroyed,and/or the Blue Jays win. Calling him a tumor is an insult to tumors everywhere.

8. winningwarlock - Sep 7, 2013 at 9:10 PM

I think the great Giambino had a benign tumor after heavy steroid use…

• chip56 - Sep 7, 2013 at 11:01 PM

true he did.

9. buffalo65 - Sep 8, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Dirty Larry is just trying to put together something intelligent to write. He started Thursday, should be done soon.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3271)