Sep 7, 2013, 10:30 PM EST
To Swisher’s credit, he has had a good couple of days against the Mets. He hit a grand slam yesterday against lefty reliever Tim Byrdak, then swatted a two-run homer in the second inning today against starter Jon Niese. Overall this season, he hasn’t quite been the Swisher we have come to know and accept, as his OPS was down to .733 entering today’s game. But he’s been worth the $11 million they will have paid him over the entirety of the season, the first year of a four-year, $56 million contract signed last December.
The Indians’ 9-4 victory today over the Mets, paired with the Tigers’ 4-3 loss to the Royals, moves them 5.5 games out of first place. Winners of four in a row, Swisher and the Tribe will go for the series sweep tomorrow afternoon.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 32
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (377)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)