Sep 7, 2013, 10:30 PM EDT
To Swisher’s credit, he has had a good couple of days against the Mets. He hit a grand slam yesterday against lefty reliever Tim Byrdak, then swatted a two-run homer in the second inning today against starter Jon Niese. Overall this season, he hasn’t quite been the Swisher we have come to know and accept, as his OPS was down to .733 entering today’s game. But he’s been worth the $11 million they will have paid him over the entirety of the season, the first year of a four-year, $56 million contract signed last December.
The Indians’ 9-4 victory today over the Mets, paired with the Tigers’ 4-3 loss to the Royals, moves them 5.5 games out of first place. Winners of four in a row, Swisher and the Tribe will go for the series sweep tomorrow afternoon.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)