Sep 7, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
The Pirates have activated outfielder Starling Marte from the disabled list, reports Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune. The 24-year-old had been dealing with a contusion on his right hand, suffered on August 10 against the Rockies when he was hit by Josh Outman. Marte continued to play for the next week before needing to be officially sidelined.
Prior to the injury, Marte was enjoying a fine season, racking up 35 stolen bases along with double digits in doubles, triples, and home runs.
Bill Brink of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette suggests Marte will be used as a pinch-runner at first before being worked back into the Pirate lineup.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)