Sep 7, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
The Pirates have activated outfielder Starling Marte from the disabled list, reports Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune. The 24-year-old had been dealing with a contusion on his right hand, suffered on August 10 against the Rockies when he was hit by Josh Outman. Marte continued to play for the next week before needing to be officially sidelined.
Prior to the injury, Marte was enjoying a fine season, racking up 35 stolen bases along with double digits in doubles, triples, and home runs.
Bill Brink of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette suggests Marte will be used as a pinch-runner at first before being worked back into the Pirate lineup.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)