Sep 7, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
The Pirates have activated outfielder Starling Marte from the disabled list, reports Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune. The 24-year-old had been dealing with a contusion on his right hand, suffered on August 10 against the Rockies when he was hit by Josh Outman. Marte continued to play for the next week before needing to be officially sidelined.
Prior to the injury, Marte was enjoying a fine season, racking up 35 stolen bases along with double digits in doubles, triples, and home runs.
Bill Brink of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette suggests Marte will be used as a pinch-runner at first before being worked back into the Pirate lineup.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 61
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 55
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 67
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)