Sep 7, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
The Pirates have activated outfielder Starling Marte from the disabled list, reports Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune. The 24-year-old had been dealing with a contusion on his right hand, suffered on August 10 against the Rockies when he was hit by Josh Outman. Marte continued to play for the next week before needing to be officially sidelined.
Prior to the injury, Marte was enjoying a fine season, racking up 35 stolen bases along with double digits in doubles, triples, and home runs.
Bill Brink of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette suggests Marte will be used as a pinch-runner at first before being worked back into the Pirate lineup.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)