Sep 7, 2013, 7:00 PM EST
The Pirates have activated outfielder Starling Marte from the disabled list, reports Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune. The 24-year-old had been dealing with a contusion on his right hand, suffered on August 10 against the Rockies when he was hit by Josh Outman. Marte continued to play for the next week before needing to be officially sidelined.
Prior to the injury, Marte was enjoying a fine season, racking up 35 stolen bases along with double digits in doubles, triples, and home runs.
Bill Brink of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette suggests Marte will be used as a pinch-runner at first before being worked back into the Pirate lineup.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 67
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 25
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 256
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (257)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)