Sep 7, 2013, 8:30 PM EDT
Rockies lefty starter Jorge De La Rosa is worthy of Cy Young consideration, argues Tracy Ringolsby in his latest column on MLB.com. My initial reaction to the article was that he was intentionally exaggerating to make a point, but he has covered the Rockies for a while, so maybe he legitimately believes this. Ringolsby writes:
De La Rosa not only shares the NL lead in victories (16) with Jordan Zimmermann of the Washington Nationals, but he is 10-1 with a 2.76 earned-run average at Coors Field.
That is exactly all of the space he uses to make an argument, the rest is filled with extraneous details about De La Rosa’s struggles in previous seasons. We’ve all heard Brian Kenny’s spiel by now, so we don’t really need to address the 16 wins. We can address the ERA in a bit of detail, though.
There is a stat out there that adjusts ERA for a player’s ballpark, known as ERA+ which is found on Baseball Reference. The average ERA is set to 100, below it is below average and above it is above average. De La Rosa has a 134 ERA+, quite respectable. But Cy Young worthy? Among qualified National League starters, De La Rosa ranks fifth in ERA+. Clayton Kershaw is a mile ahead at 187, Jose Fernandez isn’t far behind at 175, Matt Harvey is at 158, and teammate Jhoulys Chacin is at 141. Kershaw also happens to have 43 more innings on De La Rosa. He is aiming to become the fifth starter since 2009 to post an ERA+ of 180 or better. Only Zack Greinke (205 in 2009) and Clay Buchholz (187 in 2010) have been equal or better since.
If Ringolsby was simply being facetious to draw some attention to De La Rosa, mission accomplished. De La Rosa certainly deserves some praise for his great season. But in no universe, this one or alternate, does De La Rosa rank ahead of Kershaw — or Fernandez — in NL Cy Young balloting.
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 16
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 40
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 16
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)