Sep 7, 2013, 4:46 PM EST
Those wanting baseball and softball back in the Olympics got the news they were looking for Saturday: Tokyo was named the host city for the 2020 games, beating out Istanbul in a runoff after Madrid was eliminated earlier in the afternoon.
The decision on whether to add baseball and softball, squash or wrestling to the Olympic program for 2020 will come Sunday. Given the popularity of the sports in each region, wrestling seemed an obvious choice for an Istanbul games, while baseball makes a ton of sense in Japan. Of course, this being the IOC, we shouldn’t trust common sense dictating what gets played. According to Nick Zaccardi, wrestling was viewed as the heavy favorite to get the nod going into today’s decision.
It won’t happen, but I’d say put both in. Taking wrestling out of the Olympics was a crazy idea in the first place, and while baseball may be less of an Olympic tradition, it will no doubt play to packed houses (that already exist and wouldn’t have to be built) in a country that loves the sport.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)