Sep 7, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT
Those wanting baseball and softball back in the Olympics got the news they were looking for Saturday: Tokyo was named the host city for the 2020 games, beating out Istanbul in a runoff after Madrid was eliminated earlier in the afternoon.
The decision on whether to add baseball and softball, squash or wrestling to the Olympic program for 2020 will come Sunday. Given the popularity of the sports in each region, wrestling seemed an obvious choice for an Istanbul games, while baseball makes a ton of sense in Japan. Of course, this being the IOC, we shouldn’t trust common sense dictating what gets played. According to Nick Zaccardi, wrestling was viewed as the heavy favorite to get the nod going into today’s decision.
It won’t happen, but I’d say put both in. Taking wrestling out of the Olympics was a crazy idea in the first place, and while baseball may be less of an Olympic tradition, it will no doubt play to packed houses (that already exist and wouldn’t have to be built) in a country that loves the sport.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)