Sep 7, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT
Those wanting baseball and softball back in the Olympics got the news they were looking for Saturday: Tokyo was named the host city for the 2020 games, beating out Istanbul in a runoff after Madrid was eliminated earlier in the afternoon.
The decision on whether to add baseball and softball, squash or wrestling to the Olympic program for 2020 will come Sunday. Given the popularity of the sports in each region, wrestling seemed an obvious choice for an Istanbul games, while baseball makes a ton of sense in Japan. Of course, this being the IOC, we shouldn’t trust common sense dictating what gets played. According to Nick Zaccardi, wrestling was viewed as the heavy favorite to get the nod going into today’s decision.
It won’t happen, but I’d say put both in. Taking wrestling out of the Olympics was a crazy idea in the first place, and while baseball may be less of an Olympic tradition, it will no doubt play to packed houses (that already exist and wouldn’t have to be built) in a country that loves the sport.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)