Sep 7, 2013, 12:01 AM EDT
Giants starter Yusmeiro Petit has retired 21 Diamondbacks in a row and will bring a perfect game into the eighth inning at AT&T Park. He has thrown 16 of 21 first pitches for strikes and has thrown 64 pitches in total.
Petit has pitched well since being inserted into the Giants’ rotation on August 27, entering tonight with a 3.00 ERA in two starts. He struck out 10 and walked just one in six innings on September 1 against the D-Backs, perhaps a clue of what was to come.
We’ll keep you updated here as Petit attempts to make baseball history. He is attempting to become the 24th pitcher to throw a perfect game.
Update (12:10 AM): Make that 24 for 24. Petit is perfect through eight innings on 80 pitches.
Update (12:27 AM): 26 for 27. Petit lost the perfect game with two outs in the ninth. Eric Chavez laced a single to right field, just in front of right fielder Hunter Pence. Petit retired A.J. Pollock to record the complete game shutout. The Giants won 3-0, pushing the Diamondbacks to eight games behind the second Wild Card.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (127)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (99)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)