Bryce Harper heads back to D.C. for tests on ailing hip

Sep 8, 2013, 9:34 AM EDT

bryce harper getty Getty Images

From Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post:

Bryce Harper will fly back to Washington on Sunday for further tests on his ailing left hip, which the Nationals fear may be injured more seriously than initially believed.

Harper aggravated his hip taking batting practice 10 minutes before first pitch Saturday night, and the hip pain left him floored in the batting cage adjacent to the Nationals’ clubhouse.

“He didn’t need to tell me anything,” manager Davey Johnson said Saturday. “He was on the ground in the cage after he swung at a pitch. I guess it was about 10 minutes before the game started. I was in a rush to bring a new lineup out there. … We’ve been kind of treating it as a slight hip strain. But obviously, it’s something more serious than that.”

Johnson was asked whether this might be a season-ending injury for Harper and replied, “I don’t know.”

Harper acknowledged last week that he has been playing through pain since April. The 20-year-old outfielder is currently batting .273/.377/.504 with 19 home runs and 49 RBI in 101 games this season.

1. hammyofdoom - Sep 8, 2013 at 9:44 AM

And this is why I feel like it’s incredibly unfair of armchair managers like myself to question someone’s “hustle”. Unless it’s a Manny-esque situation where it’s obvious that they’re just loafing, you never know exactly what sort of pains a player is feeling and perhaps he just can’t hit that next gear the way they normally would

With that said, this guy has had hip pain all year and at age 20 he STILL almost has a .900 OPS in the games he’s played. I appreciate that Harper wants to help his team, but the dude is much more valuable to be healthy and rake for years than to ruin himself trying to get this year’s team going. I hope everything works out for the guy

• flamethrower101 - Sep 8, 2013 at 10:28 AM

For me, I put this entirely on the Nats. Yes, Harper loves to play hard and that’s admirable. But some guys just can’t get out of their own way, and if that’s the case, then it’s up to club to knock some sense into him and hold him back until it’s determined he’s OK. If there is extensive damage in Harper’s hip and it costs him a big part of next year, the team is going to look really bad here.

And after the whole “We’re shutting down Strasburg before the playoffs to protect him from injury” thing has blown up in their face, the last thing they need is for Harper to miss time next year.

2. cocheese000 - Sep 8, 2013 at 11:46 AM

His swing is too violent. No wonder he has hip problems

3. TheNaturalMevs - Sep 8, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Guy is made of glass. In my mind his stock has completely fallen. He’s so injury prone. Before his agent speaks out about desires for a 12 year contract, Bryce should try to get out there for 145 games. His missing time has hurt the nats as much as anyone. Brutal year

• sumerduckman - Sep 8, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I think once he learns to stop testing the various laws of physics on outfield walls he will be ok.

4. Walk - Sep 8, 2013 at 5:17 PM

I seriously hope he does not have the same type of injury mike Napoli had. Loss of blood flow like Napoli had from an injury could be a career ender like with bo Jackson.

• numbskull111 - Sep 9, 2013 at 7:47 AM

I was thinking the same thing….

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate