Sep 8, 2013, 2:27 PM EDT
From beat writer Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle comes word that Buster Posey is back in the Giants’ starting lineup on Sunday afternoon against the Diamondbacks after sitting out four consecutive games because of a small fracture at the tip of his right ring finger.
Posey will play first base instead of catcher, and that may be a regular thing down the stretch as the out-of-contention defending World Series champions wrap up their disappointing 2013 regular season.
Posey suffered the fracture on Tuesday night when he was clipped on his right hand by a Madison Bumgarner pitch that bounced off the lip of home plate. The ball also ripped off the nail on his right ring finger — which sounds extremely painful.
Posey, 26, is batting .309/.377/.475 with 14 home runs and 69 RBI in 130 games for the 63-79 Giants.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 70
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 27
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (114)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)