Sep 8, 2013, 2:27 PM EST
From beat writer Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle comes word that Buster Posey is back in the Giants’ starting lineup on Sunday afternoon against the Diamondbacks after sitting out four consecutive games because of a small fracture at the tip of his right ring finger.
Posey will play first base instead of catcher, and that may be a regular thing down the stretch as the out-of-contention defending World Series champions wrap up their disappointing 2013 regular season.
Posey suffered the fracture on Tuesday night when he was clipped on his right hand by a Madison Bumgarner pitch that bounced off the lip of home plate. The ball also ripped off the nail on his right ring finger — which sounds extremely painful.
Posey, 26, is batting .309/.377/.475 with 14 home runs and 69 RBI in 130 games for the 63-79 Giants.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 72
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 26
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 363
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (363)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (77)