Sep 8, 2013, 4:21 PM EDT
It has been a forgettable weekend for the Pirates.
They lost to the Cardinals by a score of 12-8 on Friday night, 5-0 on Saturday night and are trailing again in Sunday’s series finale at Busch Stadium in downtown St. Louis. Charlie Morton made the start Sunday but left with two outs in the second inning due to what is being termed as left foot discomfort.
Morton allowed five earned runs on six hits and two walks before exiting. He had a 1.74 ERA over his last six starts entering the crucial outing against the first-place Cards but looked completely overmatched.
The Pirates haven’t won a game since securing their first .500 season since 1992.
- The beauty of belief 7
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 30
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 14
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 68
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 15
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)