Sep 8, 2013, 4:21 PM EDT
It has been a forgettable weekend for the Pirates.
They lost to the Cardinals by a score of 12-8 on Friday night, 5-0 on Saturday night and are trailing again in Sunday’s series finale at Busch Stadium in downtown St. Louis. Charlie Morton made the start Sunday but left with two outs in the second inning due to what is being termed as left foot discomfort.
Morton allowed five earned runs on six hits and two walks before exiting. He had a 1.74 ERA over his last six starts entering the crucial outing against the first-place Cards but looked completely overmatched.
The Pirates haven’t won a game since securing their first .500 season since 1992.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 0
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 43
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 86
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)