Derek Jeter is sore, will get a few days off

Sep 8, 2013, 12:43 PM EDT

jeter getty Getty Images

Derek Jeter was removed from Saturday’s loss to the Red Sox with soreness in his surgically-repaired left ankle. A CT scan came back negative, but the veteran shortstop is going to be out for a little while.

According to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, Yankees manager Joe Girardi said Sunday morning that Jeter’s ankle will be reevaluated after a few days of rest. There has been no talk of shutting the 39-year-old down for the remainder of the season.

Jeter has appeared in only 17 games this year for fourth-place New York and is batting just .190 with a .542 OPS in 73 plate appearances. Eduardo Nunez will start at shortstop in Sunday’s series finale with the Red Sox, who have an 8.5-game lead in the American League East standings.

1. historiophiliac - Sep 8, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Man, I hate that I can’t drop a “That’s what he said,” because that’ll just sound like some homophobe crap. Rats. Doom. :(

• tfbuckfutter - Sep 8, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I’m going to punctuate my gay jokes with “no homo….phobe.”

• historiophiliac - Sep 8, 2013 at 3:00 PM

See, that’s the sucky thing. I can’t make that joke without people assuming I’m a homophobe. I’m jealous. And you should totally do that.

• tfbuckfutter - Sep 8, 2013 at 3:45 PM

That’s your problem.

Caring what people think.

Life gets a lot easier when you accept that not everyone is going to “get” you.

• historiophiliac - Sep 8, 2013 at 4:08 PM

I only care that I’d be inadvertently participating in the anti-gay rhetoric. I think my comments on here generally establish that I don’t care what others think. No homo…phobe.

• tfbuckfutter - Sep 8, 2013 at 4:29 PM

That’s half the fun though.

Saying absurd shit that people actually take seriously….AND agree with.

I remember Stephen Colbert saying something about how often someone approaches him to tell him how much they love his show and agree with him about everything.

I teeter between whether that is scary or whether it is actually even better than a joke landing….it’s like extra credit.

• historiophiliac - Sep 8, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Well, you’re pretty good at it too though.

• tfbuckfutter - Sep 8, 2013 at 5:41 PM

I appreciate that.

Frankly, I’m more interested in the 1 person who finds my terrible comment funny than the 10 who hated it.

If I brighten one person’s day, I don’t care about how many I irritated.

I have heard that called The Carrot Top Effect.

• historiophiliac - Sep 8, 2013 at 5:44 PM

You’re wife’s a ginger? Man, you got balls.

• tfbuckfutter - Sep 8, 2013 at 5:56 PM

My wife usually falls into both the “brightened” group and the “irritated” group over the course of the day.

So it’s really more of a percentage battle. So far I’ve been on the right side often enough.

• historiophiliac - Sep 8, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Really? Sigh.

Good for you.

Now try Rupert Grint.

• tfbuckfutter - Sep 8, 2013 at 6:23 PM

I’m not into dude those.

Because. You know. No homo.

• tfbuckfutter - Sep 8, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Those = Though

Damn you vodka, beer and the start of football season and a televised Sox/Yankees game and only having to work until noon….

Actually, no….all those things are totally worth that typo.

• historiophiliac - Sep 8, 2013 at 6:26 PM

I take that to mean I’ve stumped you! ha ha!

• tfbuckfutter - Sep 8, 2013 at 7:10 PM

You lost me awhile ago.

• historiophiliac - Sep 8, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Connect Rupert Grint to Kevin Bacon.

• tfbuckfutter - Sep 8, 2013 at 9:34 PM

You’re devious because I don’t know Harry Potter well and I don’t think Rupert’s been in anything else but alas….

Alan Rickman to….let’s make this fun….The blonde Russian terrorist from Die Hard who died of a heart attack and was also a ballet dancer and who also played Shelly Long’s ex-boyfriend in The Money Pit (sorry, I don’t recall his name)….to be honest, I have to think Tom Hanks and Kevin Bacon have been in a movie together but I can’t think of an instance, so we’ll go….throwing six degrees out and this is a weird trip….

Tom Hanks to John Candy in Splash to Macauley Culkin in Home Alone to a movie where Ted Danson played Macauley’s dad (I don’t remember the name, but Ted Danson was a thief and Macauley had a mullet and I think it was his last actual movie until he was in Saved! about ten years later) and Ted brings us to Woody Harrelson in Cheers and Woody was in Kingpin with Lin Shaye who played the gross landlord and then played Magda in There’s Something About Mary with Matt Dillon who was in Wild Things.

• tfbuckfutter - Sep 8, 2013 at 9:35 PM

I have a feeling I could have done it quicker using Joe Montegna but whatev.

• historiophiliac - Sep 8, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Um, Tom Hanks was in Apollo 13 with Kevin Bacon.

• tfbuckfutter - Sep 9, 2013 at 12:07 AM

I’m aware of the film, but I never saw it so aside from Tom Hanks and Ed Harris I know nothing of the cast.

Plus….why go the easy route when you can work Alexander Godunov (I broke down and looked it up….) Ted Danson and Macauley Culkin’s mullet in there?

I don’t even enjoy doing it the quickest way. I don’t like missing obvious connections like that, but I tend to find a string and just pull on it as opposed to looking for the directest route.

• historiophiliac - Sep 9, 2013 at 12:18 AM

I know you don’t. I was thinking too that Tom Hanks could get you to Daryl Hannah (Splash) and there had to be some way to connect her with Kevin Bacon as well. There just seems too many cheesy 80′s flicks out there that you couldn’t put those two together somehow.

• tfbuckfutter - Sep 9, 2013 at 12:30 AM

I really wanted to use Eugene Levy from Splash.

He was such a douche.

And now I will….Eugene Levy from American Pie with Thomas Ian Nichols who was Rookie of the Year which had Gary Busey in it who was in Point Break with Lori Petty who was in A League of Their Own with Tom Hanks who was in Splash with John Candy….wait….

2. aceshigh11 - Sep 8, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Well…this is going real well for the Yankees, isn’t it? :/

3. insidefastball - Sep 8, 2013 at 4:02 PM

It did not seem very smart on Girardi’s part to put Jeter out at short every day. I don’t get why the Yankees did not ease him back into games, as DH 3-4 times a week and use him as a pinch hitter in another 2-3 games a week. That way they would still have his right handed bat, which is really where most of Jeter’s value lies these days. The funny thing is that they have scheduled pretty consistent rest and days off for ARod.

• Kevin S. - Sep 8, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Because as a DH, Jeter actively hurts the Yankees. As a shortstop, he might be marginally better than Nunez. As a DH, Jeter is significantly worse than other options the Yankees have.

• dan1111 - Sep 8, 2013 at 5:01 PM

The problem is, if Jeter DHs, one of the outfielders has to sit, which means that even if he starts hitting well, he won’t be much of an offensive upgrade.

Realistically, it’s not clear that he is going to make a productive contribution either way this season, but probably his best chance is replacing Nunez’s bat at short.

4. aceshigh11 - Sep 8, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Well 3 out of 4 ain’t bad. Another blown save for Rivera.

I think he can see the beach and mai tais already. Enjoy it, Mo…you’ve more than earned it.

5. coloradogolfcoupons - Sep 8, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Don’t know why the Yankees don’t just break down and buy Jeter a Segway, or at least a walker with wheels. I don’t remember the Rule Book specifically mentioning that either is disallowed, so he could theoretically improve his range and time to first, and at the same time maybe sign an endorsement. Poor guy needs the money…

• dan1111 - Sep 8, 2013 at 5:03 PM

I would really, really love to see an all-Segway baseball game.

• cackalackyank - Sep 8, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Keeping balanced while swinging through a 95+ mph fastball could be a new sport all on its own.

6. theskinsman - Sep 8, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Please put him back in the line up, as often as possible. Thank you,
    Signed the rest of the American League.

7. drelms - Sep 8, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Please let Jeter come back in his swan song season. Millions of fans will come to see him once they know he’s going to hang his cleats up.

His position play is the pits, as a DH there are better options sitting on the bench anytime you play him.

With the Yankee’s season almost over, the chance of him ever getting better get slimmer.

Oh talk your closer into coming back too, it’s such a joy to see him blowing games.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5089)