Sep 8, 2013, 11:59 AM EST
Marlins slugger Giancarlo Stanton was lifted from Saturday’s 9-2 loss to the visiting Nationals after experiencing soreness in his right foot and ankle, and he is not in Miami’s starting lineup for Sunday afternoon’s series finale against Washington. This according to MLB.com beat writer Joe Frisaro.
X-rays taken Saturday afternoon turned up negative on the foot and ankle, and Stanton told reporters on Saturday night that “it was just one of those days” where he couldn’t shake off the discomfort.
The 23-year-old should return to action for Monday night’s series-opener against the Braves.
Stanton is hitting .249/.365/.473 with 19 home runs and 46 RBI in 96 games played this season.
- Grant Balfour’s deal with Orioles in “serious jeopardy” due to shoulder issue 10
- Report: Rakuten will not allow Masahiro Tanaka come to the United States 62
- Mariners showing “continued interest” in Ervin Santana 10
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! 89
- Dodgers re-sign left-handed reliever J.P. Howell to a two-year, $11.5 million contract 4