Sep 8, 2013, 8:10 PM EDT
Red Sox outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury has been diagnosed with a stress fracture in his right foot, reports MLB.com’s Ian Browne. Ellsbury hasn’t played since his 3-for-6 game against the Yankees on Thursday, during which he fouled a ball off his foot. The Red Sox expect their speedy outfielder back before the end of the season.
Given that Ellsbury was able to play on his foot after suffering the fracture to his navicular bone, it would appear he is in a separate category of injury from teammate Dustin Pedroia, whose final three months were largely erased by a more severe navicular fracture.
“I talked to him when he did it. He was asking me about it, because it’s kind of the same area. I just told him, when I did mine, I couldn’t walk right away. So if something’s wrong, it’s a good sign that you were able to go run and do things,” said Pedroia. “We’ve got to get him better. He’s a huge part of what we do.”
Ellsbury has had a very productive season. Along with great defense, he leads the American League with 52 stolen bases and is a point under .300 in batting average. He is expected to be among the most highly-pursued free agents during the off-season.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)