Sep 8, 2013, 8:10 PM EDT
Red Sox outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury has been diagnosed with a stress fracture in his right foot, reports MLB.com’s Ian Browne. Ellsbury hasn’t played since his 3-for-6 game against the Yankees on Thursday, during which he fouled a ball off his foot. The Red Sox expect their speedy outfielder back before the end of the season.
Given that Ellsbury was able to play on his foot after suffering the fracture to his navicular bone, it would appear he is in a separate category of injury from teammate Dustin Pedroia, whose final three months were largely erased by a more severe navicular fracture.
“I talked to him when he did it. He was asking me about it, because it’s kind of the same area. I just told him, when I did mine, I couldn’t walk right away. So if something’s wrong, it’s a good sign that you were able to go run and do things,” said Pedroia. “We’ve got to get him better. He’s a huge part of what we do.”
Ellsbury has had a very productive season. Along with great defense, he leads the American League with 52 stolen bases and is a point under .300 in batting average. He is expected to be among the most highly-pursued free agents during the off-season.
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 63
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)