Sep 8, 2013, 8:10 PM EDT
Red Sox outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury has been diagnosed with a stress fracture in his right foot, reports MLB.com’s Ian Browne. Ellsbury hasn’t played since his 3-for-6 game against the Yankees on Thursday, during which he fouled a ball off his foot. The Red Sox expect their speedy outfielder back before the end of the season.
Given that Ellsbury was able to play on his foot after suffering the fracture to his navicular bone, it would appear he is in a separate category of injury from teammate Dustin Pedroia, whose final three months were largely erased by a more severe navicular fracture.
“I talked to him when he did it. He was asking me about it, because it’s kind of the same area. I just told him, when I did mine, I couldn’t walk right away. So if something’s wrong, it’s a good sign that you were able to go run and do things,” said Pedroia. “We’ve got to get him better. He’s a huge part of what we do.”
Ellsbury has had a very productive season. Along with great defense, he leads the American League with 52 stolen bases and is a point under .300 in batting average. He is expected to be among the most highly-pursued free agents during the off-season.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (102)