Jason Giambi joins the 2,000 hit club

Sep 8, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT

Baltimore Orioles v Cleveland Indians Getty Images

Indians DH Jason Giambi had been sitting on 1,999 career hits since August 31 and finally joined the elusive 2,000 hit club in the ninth inning this afternoon against Mets reliever LaTroy Hawkins. With Giambi leading off the ninth inning, Hawkins tossed a 94 MPH fastball belt-high but inside. Giambi fought it off and blooped it down the left field line for a single.

Giambi, now 42 years old, is the 245th player in baseball history in the 2,000 hit club. He is one of 19 active players currently with membership.

On the season, Giambi has a .650 OPS, following up last year’s .675 OPS when he was with the Rockies.

1. tfbuckfutter - Sep 8, 2013 at 11:11 PM

2. spytdi - Sep 8, 2013 at 11:13 PM

He should have never left the A’s

3. yankeepunk3000 - Sep 8, 2013 at 11:14 PM

glad he got it through. Growing up he was my favorite player hope he can make a somewhat decent HOF debate. Love giambino!

• nbjays - Sep 9, 2013 at 6:59 AM

HOF? Not likely,even without the anti-PED sentiment among BBWAA voters.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 9, 2013 at 8:09 AM

His counting stats are a bit low (<450 HR, only 2000 hits), but his rate stats are worthwhile:

A – .286/.401/.519 – 140 OPS+
        B – .287/.381/.549 – 139 OPS+

One will end up the best DH of all time, the other is Giambi. Also let's not bring up PEDs, since they weren't against the rules when Giambi took them. Granted that won't stop the writers from using it as a way to keep him out of the HoF.

• sportsfan18 - Sep 9, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Church,

I suggest you look at Edgar Martinez’s stats before saying the Petulant Papi will be the best DH ever…

They are very close in stats in many ways… Ortiz has a bit more power (but Edgar is still over .500 for his career slugging percentage, which is very good). Edgar has a much higher batting average and on base percentage… enough to make up for and surpass the difference in slugging between the two of them…

Edgar’s OPS+ is 147 to Ortiz’s 139 and Ortiz is going to have to begin slowing down and if he plays a few more yrs, it will only drop more…

I’m not saying that Ortiz won’t end up as the best DH ever, it depends on his last couple of seasons…

People forget just how good of a hitter Edgar was because he hasn’t played in a while and when he did it was out in Seattle…

Put Edgar in Boston for a while and Ortiz in Seattle and I think you understand my point…

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 9, 2013 at 5:21 PM

I’m well aware of their stats. Ortiz has 100 games less played than Martinez, yet beats him in almost all the counting stats:

Ortiz – 515 2b, 427 HR, 1416 RBI (he’s behind in runs by 26, and hits by 239, both can be surpassed if Ortiz wants to keep playing)
        Marintez – 514 2b, 309 HR, 1261 RBI

You pointed out the OBP and OPS differences, but they aren’t that far apart. I’d give a slight edge to Martinez (OBP is more important than SLG). However, if Ortiz wants to play until he’s 41, like Martinez, he’ll easily surpass all of Martinez’s counting stats.

4. straightouttavtown - Sep 8, 2013 at 11:15 PM

One more year Jason and LaTroy!

5. aceshigh11 - Sep 8, 2013 at 11:22 PM

I completely forgot he was still playing. Good for him.

6. atleastimnotaraidersfan - Sep 8, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Isn’t tfbuckfutter a fan of the team that employs big papi*?

• aceshigh11 - Sep 8, 2013 at 11:44 PM

He sure is…as am I.

As such, I never throw stones when it comes to PEDs.

• tfbuckfutter - Sep 8, 2013 at 11:55 PM

If you know of a major league team with no skeletons in their closet, particularly one from a region I have ties to, by all means direct me to their fan club.

7. yankee172 - Sep 9, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Gotta love the selective memory of baseball fans. This is why it’s hard to take the “outrage” over current steroid scandals seriously.

8. coloradogolfcoupons - Sep 9, 2013 at 1:59 PM

My outrage is more about the lying than the using, and I think the fact that Pettite and Giambi confessed and were forgiven, whereas Bonds, Clemons, Braun, Arod, Palmeiro, etc. denied, lied, and pointed fingers and are now pariahs in the minds of most fans proves the point.

Braun is theoretically dead, because:

“I would bet my life that substance never entered my body” (Old Sparky or the Needle, Ryan?)

Arod joined the Hooten Foundation founded by the father of the steroid kid who committed suicide and begged us to just “Judge me by my actions going forward”
    (Okay, we judge you to be a lying, cheating, hypocritical Fraud of the first order)

Bonds: His nose should theoretically be over 2,000 feet long by now, if it grew an inch every time he lied under oath.

These buttholes took us fans as big, dumb, Gump-Chumps, and their ‘selective memory’ when testifying, under oath or not, is what gets me outraged. They think we are as dumb as they are, which is nearly impossible. We can forgive the admitted cheaters, but for Braun, Arod, Bonds, Clemons…still lying after all these years. Paul Simon should rewrite one of his songs about it.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 9, 2013 at 2:59 PM

In the case of Pettitte, you mean lied, then confessed, but that was a partial lie, until he confessed again, right? Because he said he took HGH once for an injury, then when asked under oath if he ever took it again, he admitted he took it a second time. And Giambi admitted he used something, but never said what he took because he was under investigation from the Feds.

So yeah, they sort of admitted that they took something.

[citation needed]

• badintent - Sep 10, 2013 at 3:29 AM

The ultimate police lineup.
        Rafel, Roger, Jason, Mark, Bonds, Arodless, Manram., and Bud

9. redsox711 - Sep 10, 2013 at 10:42 PM

However he’s taken way more than 2000 roads.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5574)