Sep 8, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
Indians DH Jason Giambi had been sitting on 1,999 career hits since August 31 and finally joined the elusive 2,000 hit club in the ninth inning this afternoon against Mets reliever LaTroy Hawkins. With Giambi leading off the ninth inning, Hawkins tossed a 94 MPH fastball belt-high but inside. Giambi fought it off and blooped it down the left field line for a single.
Giambi, now 42 years old, is the 245th player in baseball history in the 2,000 hit club. He is one of 19 active players currently with membership.
On the season, Giambi has a .650 OPS, following up last year’s .675 OPS when he was with the Rockies.
- Playoff Reset: Both AL Division Series Get Underway 0
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 14
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 50
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (82)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)