Sep 8, 2013, 11:00 PM EST
Indians DH Jason Giambi had been sitting on 1,999 career hits since August 31 and finally joined the elusive 2,000 hit club in the ninth inning this afternoon against Mets reliever LaTroy Hawkins. With Giambi leading off the ninth inning, Hawkins tossed a 94 MPH fastball belt-high but inside. Giambi fought it off and blooped it down the left field line for a single.
Giambi, now 42 years old, is the 245th player in baseball history in the 2,000 hit club. He is one of 19 active players currently with membership.
On the season, Giambi has a .650 OPS, following up last year’s .675 OPS when he was with the Rockies.
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 22
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 44
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 21
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 106
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)