Sep 8, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
Harvey has maintained that he wants to avoid surgery and rehab his torn ulnar collateral ligament instead, even suggesting to fans that he’ll be ready for the start of the 2014 season. But a torn UCL diagnosis pretty much always leads to the Tommy John reconstructive elbow procedure and Andrews happens to be the world-leader in performing them.
Alderson said last week that the decision to undergo Tommy John surgery will ultimately come down to Harvey because “it’s his body” and he “ultimately decides what’s in his best interest.”
Harvey, 24, has a 2.39 ERA, 0.99 WHIP and 261 strikeouts in his first 237 2/3 major league innings.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)