Sep 8, 2013, 1:30 PM EST
Harvey has maintained that he wants to avoid surgery and rehab his torn ulnar collateral ligament instead, even suggesting to fans that he’ll be ready for the start of the 2014 season. But a torn UCL diagnosis pretty much always leads to the Tommy John reconstructive elbow procedure and Andrews happens to be the world-leader in performing them.
Alderson said last week that the decision to undergo Tommy John surgery will ultimately come down to Harvey because “it’s his body” and he “ultimately decides what’s in his best interest.”
Harvey, 24, has a 2.39 ERA, 0.99 WHIP and 261 strikeouts in his first 237 2/3 major league innings.
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 3
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 44
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 46
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)