Sep 8, 2013, 9:00 PM EST
Angels outfielder Kole Calhoun made a fantastic sliding catch in the top of the seventh today against the Rangers. Reliever Michael Kohn was trying to hold onto a 3-2 lead with runners on second and third and one out when Elvis Andrus popped up a first-pitch fastball into shallow right-center field just behind second base. Center fielder Mike Trout and second baseman Grant Green were too far away to make a play, but suddenly Calhoun appeared out of nowhere, sliding in to make the grab. Alertly, he threw home to try and throw out Leonys Martin, but the catch was not in time. Alex Rios would follow up with a tie-breaking RBI double, which turned out to be the game-winner.
- Grant Balfour’s deal with Orioles in “serious jeopardy” due to shoulder issue 10
- Report: Rakuten will not allow Masahiro Tanaka come to the United States 63
- Mariners showing “continued interest” in Ervin Santana 10
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! 89
- Dodgers re-sign left-handed reliever J.P. Howell to a two-year, $11.5 million contract 4