Sep 8, 2013, 10:05 PM EST
Roy Oswalt pitched for the first time since July 7, entering in the fourth inning against the Padres after starter Chad Bettis tossed three scoreless innings. Oswalt was finally deemed healthy after suffering a strained left hamstring. Unfortunately for the 36-year-old veteran, though, the Padres were ready for him, tagging him for five runs over three and one-third innings. Oswalt’s fastball averaged below 90 MPH and maxed out at 92 MPH according to Brooks Baseball.
The outing bumped Oswalt’s ERA up to 8.57 on the season, and he has now lost every one of his five starts. The Rockies are hoping to see something positive out of him going forward as they still may consider him for a rotation spot in 2014. But if he can’t recover his velocity and remains unable to fool opposing hitters, he may have trouble finding work next season.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (270)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)