Sep 8, 2013, 8:58 AM EST
There is a mere 1.5-game separation between the three teams at the top of the NL Central standings.
Reds speedster Billy Hamilton was at it again on Saturday afternoon, entering as a pinch-runner in the bottom of the 10th inning and scoring the game-winning run as Cincinnati downed the Dodgers 4-3. Hamilton stole his fourth base in four chances to put himself in scoring position and crossed the plate for the third time as a major leaguer. He has yet to take an at-bat but has already been a difference-maker.
In St. Louis, the Cardinals happily welcomed the return of the real Adam Wainwright, who fought past his recent struggles and delivered seven shutout innings against the Pirates in an eventual 5-0 victory.
The win vaulted the Cards ahead of the Bucs for first place in the division.
Your Saturday box scores and recaps:
White Sox 3, Orioles 4 (10 innings)
Dodgers 3, Reds 4 (10 innings)
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 80
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 143
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)