Sep 8, 2013, 8:58 AM EDT
There is a mere 1.5-game separation between the three teams at the top of the NL Central standings.
Reds speedster Billy Hamilton was at it again on Saturday afternoon, entering as a pinch-runner in the bottom of the 10th inning and scoring the game-winning run as Cincinnati downed the Dodgers 4-3. Hamilton stole his fourth base in four chances to put himself in scoring position and crossed the plate for the third time as a major leaguer. He has yet to take an at-bat but has already been a difference-maker.
In St. Louis, the Cardinals happily welcomed the return of the real Adam Wainwright, who fought past his recent struggles and delivered seven shutout innings against the Pirates in an eventual 5-0 victory.
The win vaulted the Cards ahead of the Bucs for first place in the division.
Your Saturday box scores and recaps:
White Sox 3, Orioles 4 (10 innings)
Dodgers 3, Reds 4 (10 innings)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)