Sep 9, 2013, 7:41 PM EST
Things got feisty Monday night, Buck Showalter and Joe Girardi both wanted a piece of one another after the first inning of Yankees-Orioles game in Baltimore.
It appears that the incident started when Girardi started yelling out of the dugout towards Orioles third-base coach Bobby Dickerson, either to perhaps accuse him of sign-stealing or to simply tell him to get back in the box. Showalter rightfully took exception as the inning concluded and came out of the dugout, causing both Girardi and bench coach Tony Pena to exit the Yankees dugout.
MLB.com has the video:
Nothing controversial happened in the game itself prior to the incident. Both the Yankees and Orioles scored lone runs in the first, with Alex Rodriguez homering for the Bombers and Adam Jones plating Nick Markakis with a sac fly.
This was also the first game in the series between the two teams, though they did just play in New York from Aug. 30-Sept. 1. The Yankees took two out of three in that one.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)