Sep 9, 2013, 4:12 PM EST
Dionisio Soldevila of ESPN Deportes reported back in mid-July that Guerrero and the Dodgers had agreed to a $32 million contract–which he said was for seven years–but then Guerrero’s agent denied there was a deal in place … to Sanchez.
And now a couple months later it’s nearly a done deal, with Sanchez reporting “an official announcement is expected this week” and the contract is slated to be “between five and seven years.”
Guerrero played a lot of shortstop in Cuba, but he’s expected to be a second baseman in the majors and with 36-year-old Mark Ellis headed for free agency the Dodgers have a clear path for him to take over the job in 2014. He was considered one of Cuba’s top all-around players and the 26-year-old put up some big numbers offensively.
Because of the spending limits put in place with the draft and (most) international prospects dropping huge money on Cuban players is one of the few areas beyond MLB payroll where the Dodgers can really take advantage of their huge revenue edge and they’re smartly doing exactly that.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)