Sep 9, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Johnny Cueto took another step in his recovery from a strained lat muscle yesterday, throwing 30 pitches of live batting practice to Reds teammates.
Jeremy Warnemuende of MLB.com reports that a simulated game is next on the schedule, at which point Cueto could be cleared to return. And there’s been speculation that the Reds will bring him back as a reliever, with Tim Lincecum‘s playoff run for the Giants last season serving as the optimistic model.
Cueto has started just nine games this season in between disabled list stints and all 158 of his big-league appearances have come as a starter.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 56
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 16
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)