Sep 9, 2013, 10:47 AM EST
Johnny Cueto took another step in his recovery from a strained lat muscle yesterday, throwing 30 pitches of live batting practice to Reds teammates.
Jeremy Warnemuende of MLB.com reports that a simulated game is next on the schedule, at which point Cueto could be cleared to return. And there’s been speculation that the Reds will bring him back as a reliever, with Tim Lincecum‘s playoff run for the Giants last season serving as the optimistic model.
Cueto has started just nine games this season in between disabled list stints and all 158 of his big-league appearances have come as a starter.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 20
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)