Sep 9, 2013, 9:16 AM EDT
Christian Red of the New York Daily News has a fantastic in-depth remembrance of John Sayles’ “Eight Men Out,” which came out 25 years ago last week.
He talks to some of the stars, primarily about the making of the movie, and we learn a lot of neat nuggets about the oh-so-wonderful film. Stuff like D.B. Sweeney having to learn to hit left-handed. Charlie Sheen realizing one day that, oh, he wasn’t the star. But how, despite that, he worked hard and helped draw extras to the set when the lowish-budget movie needed to fill a ballpark. There’s also a good second-hand story from Gordon Clapp about how the guy he played — White Sox catcher Ray Schalk — wasn’t exactly happy when Eliot Asinof, the author of the book “Eight Men Out,” tried to interview him back in the 60s. It’s loaded with great stuff.
There is some effort taken to compare the Black Sox Scandal with the Biogenesis scandal, but neither Red nor his subjects are terribly taken with the idea that PEDs are anywhere near as bad as throwing the World Series for money, even if the PED stuff is regrettable. That talk is both measured and, more importantly, doesn’t take away from a great story about a cool movie.
Now: do one about “Matewan,” which is Sayles’ best movie in my view and a personal top-5.
Jul 31, 2015, 3:12 PM EDT
Jones struggled in a part-time role for the Yankees.
Jul 31, 2015, 2:27 PM EDT
This is the third outfielder to whom they’ve been linked in three days. Let’s see if this one takes.
Jul 31, 2015, 2:13 PM EDT
He’s hitting hitting .298/.334/.374 and will likely take over left field duties.
Jul 31, 2015, 2:08 PM EDT
Jed Hoyer has worked for all three of these teams. He may be in the middle of a big trade involving them all.
Jul 31, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
Bullpen help has been an obvious need for Minnesota.
Jul 31, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
The Cubs get a starter.
Jul 31, 2015, 1:28 PM EDT
Another move for Toronto.
Jul 31, 2015, 1:13 PM EDT
Don’t bring me down . . . Mets!
Jul 31, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
We’re recapping all of the deals as they come down.
Jul 31, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
The price is too high.
Jul 31, 2015, 12:02 PM EDT
Cardinals’ bullpen is suddenly stacked with closers and ex-closers.
Jul 31, 2015, 11:11 AM EDT
Maybe he’ll see Daniel Norris coming the other way in his van?
Jul 31, 2015, 10:39 AM EDT
Milwaukee receives a starting pitcher prospect in return.
Jul 31, 2015, 9:49 AM EDT
Or, the very least, want the Padres to think they are so as to bring Craig Kimbrel’s price down.
Jul 31, 2015, 9:25 AM EDT
They have the worst ERA in the AL, so any starter would be a nice addition.
Jul 31, 2015, 9:18 AM EDT
Another torn quadriceps muscle for the All-Star left fielder.
Jul 31, 2015, 8:55 AM EDT
I feel like Ken Caminiti has to be involved.
Jul 31, 2015, 8:51 AM EDT
Jay Bruce instead of Carlos Gomez?
Jul 31, 2015, 8:43 AM EDT
He’d be both a 2015 and a future move.
Jul 31, 2015, 8:18 AM EDT
The Yankees bullpen is already a strength. Will it be stronger by 4pm today?
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 26
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 22
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 9
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 33
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 45
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)