Miguel Cabrera ejected in first, Jim Leyland follows

Sep 9, 2013, 8:29 PM EDT

Detroit Tigers Miguel Cabrera looks at the scoreboard in the ninth inning of the Kansas City Royals' win in their MLB game in Kansas City Reuters

For the second time in the last six weeks, Miguel Cabrera got tossed mid at-bat Monday, this time getting ejected by Brian Gorman in the first inning for arguing that he was hit by a pitch.

MLB.com has the video, though it’s not yet embeddable.

Cabrera took a Chris Sale slider off his back knee, but Gorman ruled that he swung at the ball. After Cabrera fouled off the next pitch, he looked back at Gorman and said something, leading to the ejection. Jim Leyland was also tossed after coming out to defend his player.

Ramon Santiago replaced Cabrera with an 0-2 count and promptly grounded out.

Regardless of whether Cabrera’s ejection was warranted (and it didn’t really seem to be), Leyland should face some sort of additional penalty for both staying on the field and in the dugout for an obscene amount of time after the ejection, further delaying the game,

1. proudlycanadian - Sep 9, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Are the umpires ever fined when they screw up?

• hammyofdoom - Sep 9, 2013 at 8:58 PM

If I remember correctly yes they do, it’s just rarely given out to the public when it happens

• proudlycanadian - Sep 9, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Good because I am going to fine the guy for what he has done to my fantasy team tonight.

• Kevin Gillman - Sep 9, 2013 at 11:50 PM

It’s a good thing my fantasy team has a bye week. King Felix won’t pitch Wednesday too. Goodness.

2. rbj1 - Sep 9, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Because we all go to the park to watch blue, rather than a guy attempt an unprecedented back to back triple crown.

3. usm418 - Sep 9, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Do these umpires realize that we live in an era of 24hr sports networks and HDTV? Everyone can see when errors are made and to be thin skinned without checking with your crew members is 100% wrong. I’m sure the White Sox love pitching to Ramon Santiago instead of Miggy.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Sep 9, 2013 at 11:34 PM

If any of these umpires would wake up one day and decide the sky was green, well you’d damn well better believe the sky is green. These guys are so damn delusional they can look at a play on instant replay, see plain as day they were wrong, yet still believe full hardheartedly they were 100% right. It’s actually very easily to lie to yourself if you want it bad enough. I think it’s part of their initial training. Also useful if you ever want to beat a lie detector test.

• skids003 - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Have you ever tried to umpire? I doubt you could umpire a checker match, it’s a little harder than you think. Nobody likes to get cussed at either.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:22 AM

First off, relax it was a joke. Second off, I’ve been around the game my entire life, and I have the utmost respect for most umpires. And most true good umpires realize that they are human, are fallible, and make mistakes. And most good umpires are man enough to admit when they made a mistake, or it was a close call that could go either way. It’s the ones who are so blatantly wrong constantly, then refuse to admit it, digging their heels in to the point where they make further mistakes just so they don’t have to admit they were wrong that give umpires a bad name. And those guys need to get the hell out of the profession. Third off, how the hell do you umpire a checker match? Nice witty comment there buddy.

Who said anything about getting cussed out? Of course you shouldn’t cuss at anyone. That’s just plain human decency and respect. When did I ever say that type of behavior was acceptable? Oh, I didn’t you just put words into my mouth. Thanks for that!

• skids003 - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:27 AM

scout, sorry about that, I didn’t realize it wwas a “joke.” If so, I was wrong to jump you. I can admit it when I miss one, you’re right, some can’t. But it’s harder than it looks, trust me. A lot of folks can’t see that.

• bh0673 - Sep 10, 2013 at 5:19 PM

The one point scout touched on though is there are too many umpires who are to quick to throw a player out. There has to be a point that the realize the fans pay good money to see the players not the umpires and they need to be a little more thick skinned especially when their call may have been wrong enough to bring out the emotions of the player. There are too many umpires who think they are larger then the game, Joe West, Angel Hernandez, Bob Davidson, Brian Gorman…etc.

4. takingbovadasmoney - Sep 9, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Leyland suspended? Gorman, Chad Fairchild, Joe West, the ump that tossed the White Sox coach last week during the lineup card exchange, and Angel Hernandez should be suspended for the umpshow. These guys are either tremendously thin skinned, Cabrera was ejected about 5 seconds after fouling off the pitch, or they just flat out love seeing their names in the paper, any publicity is good publicity. Love baseball but the umps are rapidly driving me to turn off the game.

• sabatimus - Sep 10, 2013 at 5:19 AM

Only this time, the ump was correct. You can’t stand there in the batter’s box and continue to argue balls and strikes and not expect to get ejected.

• skids003 - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:13 AM

These armchair umps kill me. They couldn’t umpire a checker match, can’t even make a decision after watching it on instant reply 5 times from 5 angles, yet think these umps should take all kind of crap from a bunch of primma donnas. The players know how far they can go, they need to be quiet and play the game.

5. tc4306 - Sep 9, 2013 at 9:35 PM

When I buy a ticket to a baseball game, its ALWAYS to watch the umpires.

6. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Sep 9, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Come on guys, don’t you know the Umpires are as infallible as God? Don’t you understand, we don’t NEED instant replay or robot umpires, because these guys are NEVER, EVER wrong. That’s why Umpires never get speeding tickets, because cops know they would lose in a court of law. In fact, if a cop ever dared to give a umpire a speeding ticket, the judge would have no choice, but to order the cop to be remanded for immediate psychiatric evaluation.

• twenty1miles - Sep 9, 2013 at 10:19 PM

This made me laugh, heartily.

7. bobgiles2013 - Sep 9, 2013 at 10:38 PM

I am amazed that an unbiased sports journalist would use the world “obscene” to describe the length of time Leland was on the field. Obscene? How does that describe a period of time? Obscene can only mean the writer is actually biased and favors the White Sox. So, how can any of us now think of this NBC Sports blog as a fair and accurate account of sports? Count me out.

8. bosoxfan15 - Sep 9, 2013 at 11:07 PM

@bobgiles, your grasp of the English language befuddles me. See the definition of obscene: So large in amount as to be objectionable or outrageous. You’re welcome!

9. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Sep 9, 2013 at 11:41 PM

This incident reminded me of this, one of the greatest scenes in a comedy ever.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Sep 9, 2013 at 11:42 PM

And let us not forget this little gem

10. historiophiliac - Sep 10, 2013 at 12:29 AM

That’s fertilizer!!!!

11. crackersnap - Sep 10, 2013 at 12:39 AM

I dunno. Looks like Cabrera offered at the pitch to me. I wouldn’t even call it close. Yeah, fairly embarrassing because the pitch hit him, but if you follow Top Wild Swings over on Fangraphs you will see much, much worse. It happens. we all survive and move on. So I don’t know why Cabrera chose to jaw at the ump after the foul ball. It’s just his first at-bat of the game. I can see how the ump might choose to run him there. And waving the barrel of the bat as the ump’s face a few minutes later? Not so good.

On the other hand, I was totally impressed by Leyland’s controlled demeanor and the way the ump chose to stand there and discuss it all for so long. All the way up until Leyland apparently goes too far, and gets tossed. But until then, very good. After that, well, it is what it is.

Not so sure why such a big deal with a 4.5 game lead with what amounts to 18 bye’s to run out the season…Unless..? No, it couldn’t be. This is not all about individual achievements, is it? Nah…

12. Detroit Michael - Sep 10, 2013 at 4:37 AM

News flash: one can get ejected for arguing balls and strikes.

13. blacksables - Sep 10, 2013 at 4:50 AM

Why don’t you idiots actually read the rulebook and learn something about the game.

Guessing at the rules and then complaining at their proper interpretation doesn’t make you better than the umpires.

You complain when you think they don’t follow the rules, even though most of you don’t know what they are. Then you complain when they do follow the rules, even though most of you still don’t know what they are.

Go back to your fantasy games and leave the real baseball to the fans who actually know something about it.

• skids003 - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:18 AM

I’m with you. Some of these comments are priceless, I guess some of these people think you can make the rules up as you go, depending on who they are for.

• blacksables - Sep 10, 2013 at 10:55 AM

It’s easier for them to pretend to be right than to actually go out and find out.

14. sabatimus - Sep 10, 2013 at 5:14 AM

Gotta love those homer announcers. They whine that Cabrera is the best player in the game, as though that has anything to do with him being ejected. Cabrera continued to argue balls and strikes, which is against the rules, and therefore got ejected. The check swing was close, but that’s not the point.

• historiophiliac - Sep 10, 2013 at 7:50 AM

I do love those homer announcers and I don’t know what you expect them to say for the Detroit fans watching at home. Of course they are going to rue losing one of their best players. It stinks and may have changed the outcome of the game.

15. carolynhall707 - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Earning money online was never been easy as it has become for me now. Just visit the below mentioned link and you will know that earning at home from internet is not difficult. A little effort and handsome earning dream is just a click away>>>>>>>>>>>http:\\q­ℛ­.net/kVR6

16. gosport474 - Sep 10, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I don’t see the big deal here. Cabrera argued a strike and then carried it over into the next pitch. Get in the box, keep your mouth shut, and you don’t get ejected. Doesn’t matter if it’s Miggy or the worst player in MLB, you can’t argue balls and strikes. End of story.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. Y. Molina (3238)