Sep 9, 2013, 8:29 PM EDT
For the second time in the last six weeks, Miguel Cabrera got tossed mid at-bat Monday, this time getting ejected by Brian Gorman in the first inning for arguing that he was hit by a pitch.
MLB.com has the video, though it’s not yet embeddable.
Cabrera took a Chris Sale slider off his back knee, but Gorman ruled that he swung at the ball. After Cabrera fouled off the next pitch, he looked back at Gorman and said something, leading to the ejection. Jim Leyland was also tossed after coming out to defend his player.
Ramon Santiago replaced Cabrera with an 0-2 count and promptly grounded out.
Regardless of whether Cabrera’s ejection was warranted (and it didn’t really seem to be), Leyland should face some sort of additional penalty for both staying on the field and in the dugout for an obscene amount of time after the ejection, further delaying the game,
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)