Sep 9, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
This sounds serious:
Samuel Deduno might need surgery on his shoulder. GM Terry Ryan said it’s not as serious as it sounds.
— LaVelle E. Neal III (@LaVelleNeal) September 8, 2013
Oh, OK, or maybe not.
Deduno was 8-8 with a 3.83 ERA in 18 starts for the Twins this year, but was far less effective in his final few starts after he began experiencing shoulder soreness. This past spring he was the hero of the World Baseball Classic, pitching the Dominican Republic to a win in the championship game and allowed just one run with a 17/5 K/BB ratio in 13 innings over the course of three WBC starts.
While shoulder surgery sounds like a big deal, this report says that it’s really about inflammation and that there is some fraying in an area already affected by scar tissue and that the Twins aren’t overly concerned.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 17
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 73
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)