Sep 9, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
This sounds serious:
Samuel Deduno might need surgery on his shoulder. GM Terry Ryan said it’s not as serious as it sounds.
— LaVelle E. Neal III (@LaVelleNeal) September 8, 2013
Oh, OK, or maybe not.
Deduno was 8-8 with a 3.83 ERA in 18 starts for the Twins this year, but was far less effective in his final few starts after he began experiencing shoulder soreness. This past spring he was the hero of the World Baseball Classic, pitching the Dominican Republic to a win in the championship game and allowed just one run with a 17/5 K/BB ratio in 13 innings over the course of three WBC starts.
While shoulder surgery sounds like a big deal, this report says that it’s really about inflammation and that there is some fraying in an area already affected by scar tissue and that the Twins aren’t overly concerned.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)