Sep 9, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
This sounds serious:
Samuel Deduno might need surgery on his shoulder. GM Terry Ryan said it’s not as serious as it sounds.
— LaVelle E. Neal III (@LaVelleNeal) September 8, 2013
Oh, OK, or maybe not.
Deduno was 8-8 with a 3.83 ERA in 18 starts for the Twins this year, but was far less effective in his final few starts after he began experiencing shoulder soreness. This past spring he was the hero of the World Baseball Classic, pitching the Dominican Republic to a win in the championship game and allowed just one run with a 17/5 K/BB ratio in 13 innings over the course of three WBC starts.
While shoulder surgery sounds like a big deal, this report says that it’s really about inflammation and that there is some fraying in an area already affected by scar tissue and that the Twins aren’t overly concerned.
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 216
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 44
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (216)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)