Sep 9, 2013, 10:30 AM EST
This sounds serious:
Samuel Deduno might need surgery on his shoulder. GM Terry Ryan said it’s not as serious as it sounds.
— LaVelle E. Neal III (@LaVelleNeal) September 8, 2013
Oh, OK, or maybe not.
Deduno was 8-8 with a 3.83 ERA in 18 starts for the Twins this year, but was far less effective in his final few starts after he began experiencing shoulder soreness. This past spring he was the hero of the World Baseball Classic, pitching the Dominican Republic to a win in the championship game and allowed just one run with a 17/5 K/BB ratio in 13 innings over the course of three WBC starts.
While shoulder surgery sounds like a big deal, this report says that it’s really about inflammation and that there is some fraying in an area already affected by scar tissue and that the Twins aren’t overly concerned.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)