Sep 9, 2013, 10:30 AM EST
This sounds serious:
Samuel Deduno might need surgery on his shoulder. GM Terry Ryan said it’s not as serious as it sounds.
— LaVelle E. Neal III (@LaVelleNeal) September 8, 2013
Oh, OK, or maybe not.
Deduno was 8-8 with a 3.83 ERA in 18 starts for the Twins this year, but was far less effective in his final few starts after he began experiencing shoulder soreness. This past spring he was the hero of the World Baseball Classic, pitching the Dominican Republic to a win in the championship game and allowed just one run with a 17/5 K/BB ratio in 13 innings over the course of three WBC starts.
While shoulder surgery sounds like a big deal, this report says that it’s really about inflammation and that there is some fraying in an area already affected by scar tissue and that the Twins aren’t overly concerned.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)