Sep 9, 2013, 2:43 PM EDT
Shi Davidi reports that the Toronto Blue Jays and New York Mets will play two exhibition games in Olympic Stadium in Montreal next spring:
The contests, to be held right at the end of the pre-season, will bring big-league baseball back to the Big O for the first time since the Expos left for Washington after the 2004 season. Hosting games in Montreal makes sense under the Blue Jays’ strategy of building a country-wide fan-base.
And makes sense if they want to put the kibosh on the nascent “bring baseball back to Montreal” stuff we’ve been hearing lately. Which, no, I don’t think will go anywhere any time soon, but if you’re the Jays you’re better off trying to claim as much territory as possible before that ball gets rolling so as to try and extract something from MLB if and when something happens.
As for Montreal: I’m curious as to how Olympic Stadium is doing these days.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)