Two Marlins fans get treated nicely by the team, then trash Yasiel Puig and Bryce Harper

Sep 9, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT

Marlins Miami new logo

You rarely hear good PR stories about the Marlins and their management. This is one: seems the Marlins honored a couple of long-time fans:

Donna Glendenning, 66, and her 91-year old mother Eloise Card, a pair of diehard Marlins fans who have spent the last four years watching every game together on TV while talking over the phone, lived out a dream Sunday morning as special guests of the team.

They got the royal treatment. Limo ride to the stadium, meeting players, personalized jersey. The works. What did you ladies like the best?

“I got to meet Jose Fernandez,” Card said. “And that made my day. He’s such a nice young man. Jose is nothing like [Bryce] Harper and [Yasiel] Puig. They’re low class acts. He’s really top notch.”

Alrighty then.

1. stlouis1baseball - Sep 9, 2013 at 4:03 PM

She is a 91 year old baseball fan. She gets a pass.

• xmatt0926x - Sep 9, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Absolutely. A 91 year old woman who watches every game while chatting over the phone about it. And these are Marlins games that she’s spending her time watching. That’s team loyalty. She gets a pass.

• Old Gator - Sep 9, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Sure, let’s badmouth people you don’t know and haven’t met. 91 is old enough to have learned better. At what age do lowlives gravitate automatically up the ladder?

• shaggylocks - Sep 9, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I think the lowlife ladder climb kicks in automatically at 90, although the threshold lowers to 80 if you’re an adorable little old lady or if you’re an inspiringly cheerful and chipper old person or something. Then you get a pass.

But this is sports we’re talking about. Nowhere are you going to find sports fans of any age speaking in reverential tones about all opposing team players.

• Old Gator - Sep 9, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Sure you will. Not everyone subscribes to the theory that you have to talk trash – especially when, given what niceties have been vouchsafed those two, there was really no reason to be sour about anyone. If this is how they react to being wined and dined and otherwise feted like royalty, I really wouldn’t want to hear what they had to say about someone else who had done them no wrongs that anyone seems to be aware of after a bad day.

• Anoesis - Sep 10, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Never too young, or too old, to show a little class. In this case, very little.

2. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 9, 2013 at 4:12 PM

I agree with the notion that guys like Puig and Harper should not be unduly punished for their displays of, let’s say exuberance. I would not, however, criticize anyone who finds their schtick in bad taste.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 9, 2013 at 4:47 PM

What exactly is Harper’s schtick?

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 9, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Not quite Puig territory, but things like the shaggy mohawk, quart of eye-black per game, calling reporters “bro”…all of this coming shortly after such shenanigans as blowing a kiss at an opposing pitcher after hitting an HR.

Again, I am not saying he can’t do such things, or even that he shouldn’t. That comes with the caveat that many people will dislike such behavior and disapprove of and dislike him for displaying it.

• Old Gator - Sep 9, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Whereas running around the dugout like an overaged toddler, harassing everyone in sight every time you do something right to make sure they saw and were wowed by it, and putting on displays of “exuberance” that would barely be tolerated in the NFL, couldn’t be viewed as objectionable from some other angle?

Look, I enjoy El Keed’s antics immensely – but I find them no more or less objectionable than anything Harper does. Yeah, Puig has some growing up to do. But none of this is really the point. The point is, why show yourself to be a sourpuss and say obnoxious things about other ballplayers for no reason at all other than out of a superabundance of your own pettiness?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 9, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Greg Maddux pissed on people’s feet in the shower!

• idolized1 - Sep 9, 2013 at 7:54 PM

That’s a clown question, bro.

• reds37win - Sep 9, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Do we KNOW they haven’t met Harper or Puig? Sounds like the Marlins know the ladies pretty well…wouldn’t surprise me if they have good enough seats that would allow interaction with the players. Heck, that’s half their fan-base right there.

3. duvisited - Sep 9, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Look, Eloise is old school by definition. Of course she supports the unwritten rules.

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 9, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Which is convenient, since she probably can’t write anymore.

4. whereyaat - Sep 9, 2013 at 4:41 PM

I think that speaks more to the quality of the Marlins’ announcers, who IMHO, are pretty good. And I’m not even a Marlins fan.

5. paperlions - Sep 9, 2013 at 4:53 PM

If you call two people you don’t know anything about low class, chances are you are not top notch.

• Old Gator - Sep 9, 2013 at 5:32 PM

I know this much about them: in a situation where they’e been treated well and granted a fiarytale evening with their heroes, they couldn’t think of anything better to do than badmouth two other people. Sorry, I think that’s knowing enough about what they’re like to pass some judgment on their lack of dignity and their gratuitous bile.

• paperlions - Sep 9, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Agree 100%.

• skids003 - Sep 10, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Come on guys. Anyone that lives that long is entitled a pass, they can say whatever they want, PC or not.

• historiophiliac - Sep 9, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Boooo!!!!

/throws mothballs

• paperlions - Sep 9, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Mmmmmmm, love the smell of naphthalene….now you are making me nostalgic.

6. frank35sox - Sep 9, 2013 at 5:25 PM

What a non-story.

And Gator is taking upon himself to chastise someone he doesn’t know for judging someone they don’t know. Irony. But then again, I don’t know Gator, so I guess I can’t judge, ha.

Thanks, HBT.

• mybrunoblog - Sep 9, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Well said.

7. stercuilus65 - Sep 9, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Hurry up and die you old hags.

8. baseballer28 - Sep 9, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Harper is an arrogant, overhyped douchebag. And kind of a bitch too. Puig has had his problems also.

• paperlions - Sep 9, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Yeah, well….you are a judgmental, narrow-minded asshole….we all have our little problems.

• baseballer28 - Sep 10, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Judgmental? How the hell do you figure that assclown? Have you ever watched this guy play a game? He dives and runs into walls when he doesn’t need to, acts like an idoit in front off the media and is an all around jerk. My cousin is a nats fan (I don’t why) and he tried to get Harper to toss his little boy a ball in the first row just before the game and this asshole pumped faked it to him and threw the ball to the dugout. Then laugh and said, “not today son” to my cousin and his kid. He made my cousin’s kid cry. So fuck you paperlions, this guy doesn’t need to be in the MLB. Harper acts like we all owe him something. He acts like the game owes him something. Every time he gets hit he wants to start some shit. I understand if someone’s throwing at your head, but Hamels and Teheran hit him in the ass/lower back region, as is the same with everyone else that’s plunked him. Don’t pimp and strut out home runs and you don’t get hit intentionally. That’s the way it’s always been. Just take your base and jog down to first. Instead he takse the longest time to get down there and talks shit as he goes, trying to be a bad ass. Blowing kisses at pitchers? Staring at every home run, even fence scrapers. Harper symbolizes everything that is wrong in professional baseball and I would be worried if my kids idolized him. And he’s not even that good. Look at his numbers for god’s sake. There decent but, Trout is off the charts compared to Harper. It’s not even close. And they have almost the
        same MLB service time.

• skids003 - Sep 10, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Wow, did he really do that? That should be reported in the news, that’s pretty sad. I understand why you dislike him.

9. afrancis55 - Sep 9, 2013 at 8:31 PM

I wouldn’t say harper and puig are low class , but they are whiny little bitches that’s for sure

• jimeejohnson - Sep 9, 2013 at 8:55 PM

I wouldn’t say they’re whiny little bitches unless I was going to say it to their faces.

10. rasta028 - Sep 10, 2013 at 3:54 AM

How is Puig low class ? Young and raw maybe, shut up and poop in your diaper old hag.

11. ctony1216 - Sep 10, 2013 at 10:33 AM

From now on, every time I hear someone complain about Puig and Harper, I will complain about Jonny Gomes’ ratty beard and unbuttoned uniform. I get itchy just looking at the dude.

Yes, Hanley Ramirez also plays with an unbuttoned shirt but at least I can’t see the morning’s buffet fixings sticking out of his chin whiskers. C’mon Jonny, the Sox will be in the playoffs this fall competing in front of a national prime time audience. You need to set an example. Think about the children!

12. Anoesis - Sep 10, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Well that wasn’t very nice even if it were true. I suppose it’s only apropos that the team they root for sucks on an epic scale. Not to worry, ladies (and I’m using that term loosely) your team’s season will soon be over and you can go back to making the early cattle call at Golden Corral.

13. skinsfanwill - Sep 10, 2013 at 3:14 PM

These old ladies live in Florida, the old person state.That’s old school hate right there. Anything outside of what they like or who they are, will certainly be hated.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3293)