Sep 10, 2013, 5:04 PM EDT
They’re running out of time, but the Rays haven’t given up on Jesse Crain throwing a pitch for them this season.
Acquired from the White Sox in late July while on the disabled list for a shoulder injury, Crain remains on the DL six weeks later. However, according to Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times he threw a bullpen session today without any problems and could be cleared to pitch a simulated game against live hitters later this week.
Tampa Bay knew the risks with Crain at the time of the trade and got him at a discount because of it, so at this point any contribution from him down the stretch (and perhaps in the playoffs) is probably viewed as a bonus. Crain had a 0.74 ERA and 46/11 K/BB ratio in 37 innings for the White Sox before being shut down, making his first All-Star at age 31 with free agency right around the corner.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)