Sep 10, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Parnell tried to rest and rehab the injury and also got an epidural injection, but the problem remained. He fared well stepping into the closer role for the injured Frank Francisco, saving 22 games with a 2.16 ERA and 44/12 K/BB ratio in 50 innings, but Parnell hasn’t pitched since July 30.
Under team control through 2015 and set to get a sizable raise from this year’s $1.7 million salary via arbitration, the 29-year-old right-hander figures to handle save chances for the Mets next season assuming he’s healthy.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 6
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)