Sep 10, 2013, 1:30 PM EST
Major League Baseball announced its 2014 regular season schedule today. As mentioned back in June, it will begin with an Opening Series — which the MLB press release did, indeed, capitalize — between the Arizona Diamondbacks and the Los Angeles Dodgers in Sydney, Australia on Saturday, March 22 and Sunday, March 23.
The non-Australian Opening Night takes place on Sunday, March 30th. The teams have not yet been announced. I’m guessing they’ll do so after the playoffs are over. The remaining fourteen Opening Day games will take place on Monday, March 31. The final scheduled day of the 2014 regular season will be Sunday, September 28.
Other notable dates: The Draft will take place on Thursday, June 5 and the All-Star Game will take place at Target Field in Minneapolis on Tuesday, July 15. If you’re looking for your team’s individual schedule, please note that my sources tell me they will play 162 games, 81 of which will be at home. You didn’t hear that from me, though. Seriously, though: the individual teams’ websites are updating with 2014 schedules as we speak.
Now: Someone please forward this to the NFL so they can let us know if any of it interferes with their 2014 schedule. After all, it’ll be much easier for baseball to do the right thing and make way now than it will this time next year.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)