Sep 10, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
Major League Baseball announced its 2014 regular season schedule today. As mentioned back in June, it will begin with an Opening Series — which the MLB press release did, indeed, capitalize — between the Arizona Diamondbacks and the Los Angeles Dodgers in Sydney, Australia on Saturday, March 22 and Sunday, March 23.
The non-Australian Opening Night takes place on Sunday, March 30th. The teams have not yet been announced. I’m guessing they’ll do so after the playoffs are over. The remaining fourteen Opening Day games will take place on Monday, March 31. The final scheduled day of the 2014 regular season will be Sunday, September 28.
Other notable dates: The Draft will take place on Thursday, June 5 and the All-Star Game will take place at Target Field in Minneapolis on Tuesday, July 15. If you’re looking for your team’s individual schedule, please note that my sources tell me they will play 162 games, 81 of which will be at home. You didn’t hear that from me, though. Seriously, though: the individual teams’ websites are updating with 2014 schedules as we speak.
Now: Someone please forward this to the NFL so they can let us know if any of it interferes with their 2014 schedule. After all, it’ll be much easier for baseball to do the right thing and make way now than it will this time next year.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)