Sep 10, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
Major League Baseball announced its 2014 regular season schedule today. As mentioned back in June, it will begin with an Opening Series — which the MLB press release did, indeed, capitalize — between the Arizona Diamondbacks and the Los Angeles Dodgers in Sydney, Australia on Saturday, March 22 and Sunday, March 23.
The non-Australian Opening Night takes place on Sunday, March 30th. The teams have not yet been announced. I’m guessing they’ll do so after the playoffs are over. The remaining fourteen Opening Day games will take place on Monday, March 31. The final scheduled day of the 2014 regular season will be Sunday, September 28.
Other notable dates: The Draft will take place on Thursday, June 5 and the All-Star Game will take place at Target Field in Minneapolis on Tuesday, July 15. If you’re looking for your team’s individual schedule, please note that my sources tell me they will play 162 games, 81 of which will be at home. You didn’t hear that from me, though. Seriously, though: the individual teams’ websites are updating with 2014 schedules as we speak.
Now: Someone please forward this to the NFL so they can let us know if any of it interferes with their 2014 schedule. After all, it’ll be much easier for baseball to do the right thing and make way now than it will this time next year.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)