Sep 10, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Stuff that happened this week in Hardball History: novelties!
The oldest pitcher to win a game for the Red Sox did so with the help of the flutterball, a Hall of Fame closer ended a career built on the then-novel split-fingered fastball and an innovator — with a potential conflict of interest — made efforts to protect players’ melons.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (94)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (86)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)