Sep 10, 2013, 2:02 PM EST
The Tigers finish up their series in Chicago on Wednesday night and play at home against the Royals on Friday night. For Torii Hunter, there will be some extra travel in between. He’s going to Jonesboro, Arkansas that night to see his son Monshadrik — nicknamed “Money” — play football for Arkansas State. From the Freep:
“I haven’t seen any of my sons play since they’ve been out of high school,” Hunter said. “If you’ve got that opportunity, you gotta do it. I’m going to check it out and have my jersey on and hat on, then come back ready to play on Friday. It’ll be good. I haven’t seen my boys in months.”
Hunter has three sons playing college football.
I’m torn here, of course. On the one hand I am all for dads doing whatever they can to be close to their families and don’t begrudge Hunter’s little trek one bit because family is way, way more important than sports. On the other hand, I can’t help but feel like if other players did this — players without the friends in the media Hunter has — they’d be getting criticism for all of the traveling on an off-day and would have to answer questions about it all.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 93
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 30
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 257
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (259)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (103)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)