Torii Hunter is going to take a detour on the Tigers’ offday Thursday

Sep 10, 2013, 2:02 PM EDT

Detroit Tigers v Cleveland Indians Getty Images

The Tigers finish up their series in Chicago on Wednesday night and play at home against the Royals on Friday night. For Torii Hunter, there will be some extra travel in between. He’s going to Jonesboro, Arkansas that night to see his son Monshadrik — nicknamed “Money” — play football for Arkansas State. From the Freep:

“I haven’t seen any of my sons play since they’ve been out of high school,” Hunter said. “If you’ve got that opportunity, you gotta do it. I’m going to check it out and have my jersey on and hat on, then come back ready to play on Friday. It’ll be good. I haven’t seen my boys in months.”

Hunter has three sons playing college football.

I’m torn here, of course. On the one hand I am all for dads doing whatever they can to be close to their families and don’t begrudge Hunter’s little trek one bit because family is way, way more important than sports. On the other hand, I can’t help but feel like if other players did this — players without the friends in the media Hunter has — they’d be getting criticism for all of the traveling on an off-day and would have to answer questions about it all.

1. gigab0t - Sep 10, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Wait so his son’s name is Money Hunter? Awesome.

• philliesblow - Sep 10, 2013 at 2:58 PM

If you can get “Money” from Monshadrik, glad he didn’t name a kid Percival. Short for Percival is Percy. It’s a short step to Pussy Hunter.

2. mantastic54 - Sep 10, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Unless his 3 sons are all freshmen, how has he not seen them play since high school? It’s not like baseball season lasts until December

• fatediesel - Sep 10, 2013 at 5:16 PM

All 3 of his sons are freshmen. In addition to Money he’s got a son who is a freshman at Southeastern Louisiana and a son who is a freshman at Notre Dame.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 10, 2013 at 5:25 PM

So how did he choose which one to watch?

• jwbiii - Sep 10, 2013 at 10:52 PM

I’m guessing that the other two teams play on Saturday and Arkansas State is playing one of those off-night games to fill programming on ESPNU.

3. rickdobrydney - Sep 10, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Monshadrik —what is that ?

• historiophiliac - Sep 10, 2013 at 2:20 PM

His Christian name.

• cohnjusack - Sep 10, 2013 at 2:24 PM

A much more interesting name than “Bill”

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 10, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Interesting isn’t always better Cusack.

4. cur68 - Sep 10, 2013 at 2:23 PM

If ARod did this…

• historiophiliac - Sep 10, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Money-Rod hehehehehe

5. motobus - Sep 10, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Why would anyone take criticism for traveling to see their child on an off day?

6. Detroit Michael - Sep 10, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I thought that, for veterans who are wealthy enough to charter planes or whatever they need to do to get around, traveling separate from the team when there is an off-day on the schedule was common. I don’t know this for sure though.

7. CyclePower - Sep 10, 2013 at 4:20 PM

I really can’t think of a scenario where any player would be criticized for this if the circumstances were the same. I think even A Rod would get a pass on this. I think this is just a back-door device to re-introduce the criticism of Hunter and his gay comment.

“… I am all for dads doing whatever they can to be close to their families and don’t begrudge Hunter’s little trek one bit because family is way, way more important than sports.” That’s really where I think your commentary should have ended.

• frank433 - Sep 10, 2013 at 6:05 PM

It might be weird if A-Rod traveled to Arkansas State to watch Torii Hunters son play on an off day, but thats just, like my opinion, man.

8. proudlycanadian - Sep 10, 2013 at 5:28 PM

I can see the headline “HUNTER SNUBS TWO SONS FOR MONEY” !

9. stlouis1baseball - Sep 10, 2013 at 6:14 PM

The only thing I am torn about is he and his Wife agreeing on the name “Monshadrik .”
    Really? “Monshadrik?” You have a kid…and name him “Monshadrik?”

“Honey…I have been thinking long and hard about the name of our next born child.”
    “What are your thoughts on “Monshadrik?”

Lol! Just when you think you have heard them all…
    You get a “Monshadrik” that totally squashes the name “Barkevious” in the let’s choose the dumbest name possible game. In the words of the great philosopher Charles Barkley…”that’s turrible.”

• historiophiliac - Sep 10, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Don’t be close-minded. And, I bet no one calls you “Money” for short.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 11, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Really? Close minded? What does me thinking the name “Monshadrik” is a “turrible” name have to do with being close minded? Close minded w/ regards to what? The horrible name club? Everything isn’t an affront on society, culture, race, gender, etc… We already have a “Money” in our group (based upon his last name). And I shouldn’t have to point out someone calling me “Money” isn’t a the top of my wish list. My nickmane is fine. I have had it for 20+ years. Monshadrik Hunter. Yep…rolls right off the tongue. Lol!

10. irishdodger - Sep 10, 2013 at 7:14 PM

All three sons are freshmen in college. Tori, Jr is at Notre Dame but likely taking a red shirt to recover from a broken leg suffered at the Army All-American game. I don’t believe the three boys are triplets but maybe someone can verify that.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3460)